Costa Rica in June - too rainy?

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Costa Rica in June - too rainy?

I am thinking of going to Costa Rica for a week in June with my family (4 children aged 16-23). We like nature, hiking, and rafting; my daughters are also interested in a couple of "beach" days, if possible. My question is whether it will be too rainy in mid-June. I don't mind getting wet, as that goes with the territory in Costa Rica. However, I don't want to spend a week getting soaked to the bone in a downpour every day. Any recommendations? Are there parts of the country that won't be too rainy? Also, is driving in the country relatively hassle-free? Are there any locations that would make a good base for day trips? Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I agree that Guanacaste is probably a good choice for June, but even in other parts of CR, you usually won't get endless downpours in June. Afternoon or evening rains are typical, with clear mornings.

Here's a link to an interactive rainfall map that you mouse over to see the trends for a given area:

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

Driving is fun, but not necessarily for everyone. Road conditions can be highly variable, so a small SUV is typically recommended to provide clearance and traction. You want to drive during daylight hours and be at your destination before dark because roads are not always clearly marked and it's easy to get turned around. It's also not uncommon to hit foggy or rainy conditions at night. I've driven down there on 2 trips and enjoy the flexibility a car can provide, but we always manage to get temporarily lost on each trip! I also wouldn't want to drive in San Jose; too hectic for me! That said, the countryside is absolutely beautiful and very pleasant to meander around in.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:47 AM

The most popular first trip is a split between Manuel Antonio for beach time and Arenal for volcano and adventure time. You would usually get afternoon showers, but not enough to spoil things. It's a great time to go because things are lush and green, and you can get some good prices.
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:43 AM

I visited there last year, the last 2 weeks of June, in the Arenal (La Fortuna) and Sarapiqui areas. This was the weather:

* days 1-3 no rain at all, at least none that I noticed

* day 4: It poured all day. The rain started 5 AM and continued throughout the day with only very brief letups.

* days 5-7: rained everyday at unpredictable times, sometimes twice a day
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM

I hit 'submit' too soon:

Despite the rain, I had a terrific time. During the day of nonstop rain, I took a river float tour, and also a hike on the El Silencio rainforest trail (which was beautiful in the rain).

If you do travel to CR in June, come prepared with adequate rainwear and quick-dry nylon clothing.

Also, do not expect to see any volcanoes, due to the clouds.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:39 PM

For some beach time, go to Malpais. Mid June is normally ok because they have what is called 'el veranillo de San Juan', a type of dry break during the rainy season.
When you are in Malpais, you can explore Cabo Blanco, hike on the beach of Manzanillo (you will be sure to see lot of wildlife at this time of the year), do some canopy, hire an ATV to go to Montezuma and the waterfalls.
Malpais is very laid back and perfect whether you want activity, or just relax by the beach, the pool or do some yoga.
We stayed at Frank's Place hotel which is at the centre between Malpais and Santa Teresa, good price, standard rooms with A/C, nice pool to relax and read a book and a good restaurant with great food to please everyone
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:01 PM

We've been in July and had some great luck with the weather - not a drop of rain in the Osa, and when we went to Arenal, we got to watch the lava flow every night from our balcony at the Lost Iguana. It's not entirely predictable unfortunately.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Volcano girl, related to another post you had on M.A., you mentioned going on a sail/snorkel tour that was not good. Can you please let me know what tour it was so we don't go on it? We'd like to do kayaking/snorkeling or sailing/snorkeling but want to make sure we see some good fish (we did a sail/snorkel trip in St. John that was incredible last summer). Thanks! Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you'd prefer.
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Hi, beach - regarding the sailing snorkeling tour, it was out of Manuel Antonio, but I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it. The visibility in the water was really bad, which is a shame because the beaches and water are very pretty. It's just that there's a lot of sediment in the water. I don't think one operator would be any better than any other. I think that you would just have to go with the expectation that you wouldn't see much. We've snorkeled in places like Hawaii and St. John too, and what we've experienced in CR doesn't even come close. I still love CR though - just don't go for the snorkeling.