San Miguel De Allende day trips

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
San Miguel De Allende day trips

I thought I’d do a few trip reports from around the San Miguel area, places that aren’t necessarily ‘off the beaten path’, but maybe somewhat, that might be worth a look. I've purposely left off places like Queretaro, Guanajuato & Dolores Hidalgo since they are frequently visited.
Mineral De Pozos is an easy day trip from San Miguel, about a 45 minute drive. But you’d need to have a car or hire a driver, as there really is no public transportation to the ruins and no taxis in town. I think our first visit there was almost 20 years ago and things have changed considerably. The road from hwy 57 back then was rocky and rutted, it’s now paved with stone. Some of the old buildings near the mines have been restored, and others are now fenced off. But it’s still an interesting place and great for photos. The town itself has experienced an increase in tourism, which has resulted in a number of new shops and restaurants, which is good, but at the expense of some of the rustic charm.
Pozos was the home of 2 major mining concerns. The Cinco Señores hacienda and its ruins are located up on the hill. It was established in the late 1800’s and consisted of a handful of mines. It continued in production until the late 1930’s when the mines were flooded by underground rivers, after which the town was essentially abandoned. At its peak, there were some 50,000 people living and working in the Pozos area. If you enter on the road from highway 57, you enter right by the aforementioned ruins. There is a small fee to enter the ex-hacienda if you’re so inclined, but you can still wander around most of the other buildings for free. The other main hacienda and mine is hacienda Santa Brigida, located down in the valley about 5 miles from 5 Señores. Santa Brigida was established by the Jesuits in the latter part of the 1500’s and was active throughout the 1700’s until Spain kicked them out of Mexico. Some holes were some 250 meters deep. There is a small restaurant on site, and I think entrance was like 50 pesos to the immediate area of the hacienda.
Interestingly, as many times as I’ve been to Pozos, until only recently did I happen upon the iconic ovens which I’d seen often in pictures. I figured they were destroyed, but they’re at the site of the Santa Brigida mine where I’d not been before.
In Pozos, a favorite stop for lunch is at the Posada De Las Minas, a beautifully restored casona with restaurant and boutique hotel lodging.
If you’re able to get to Pozos, you could supplement the trip with a stop in San Luis De La Paz or San Jose Iturbide. Both are pleasant enough towns with lots of activity in their clean colonial centers. It’s an easy enough visit from Queretaro or Dolores Hidalgo as well, just not by public transportation.

Cinco Señores

My wife with an old goat. Besides me. Inside 5 Señores

View from up by 5 Señores

A shop selling indigenous musical instruments

The ovens at Santa Brigida

Hacienda Santa Brigida

Fixer-upper for sale.

Last edited by baldone; Jun 3rd, 2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the Pozos tip. I am thinking to go to SMA in July -if my wife gives permission and i will surely find my way over there..
Btw... why are e.mail addresses not permitted on posts? I seldom go to this website but i check my e.mail every day.
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PopHargon View Post
. . .Btw... why are e.mail addresses not permitted on posts? I seldom go to this website but i check my e.mail every day.
Welcome to Fodors. Email address are allowed but new members are not able to posts links until they have some posting history. So soon you could post your address. However the forums really aren't set up for that sort of interaction - where one posts a question and expects personal e-mail responses. The discussions work better when they play out on the public forums so others can see what advice one is receiving and agree or offer alternatives. In your profile you can set it up to get an e-mail notice from Fodors when there is activity on your threads and those you subscribe to (I'm not 100% sure but I 'think' the default set up is to receive subscribed notifications).
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for that quick answer. i had been using mexconnect for a number of years and found this site. not sure how to use it fully and will probably only visit once or 3 times a year as i plan and make my trips to s.m.a. - as i have since '81.
i will try to post again and see if i can find an answer to my origin query.
thanks again.
p0p