San Miguel de Allende - Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to spend nine days in San Miguel de Allende around the first of March. We would also like to tour Queretaro, Delores Hidalgo, and Guanajuato. Do you have any suggestions about tour companies? Our interests are art, architecture, and history.

What are the special things we should do in SMA? Are there any festivals or carnivals during that time period?
Old Jan 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM

I would not waste my money on a tour to Guanajuato. Just hop a bus then a short cab ride to El Centro through on of the many underground tunnels. Take the Tourist trolley leaving from Plaza de Paz in front of the Cathedral. This will orientate you.
Visit the Juarez Theatre, the Jardin, The Cervantes museo, Diego's boyhood home & museo. These are all within a few blocks of each other. Then visit the Mummy Museo if you into such things.
Have lunch at one of the cafes on The Jardin , the main Plaza or Truco 7 My favorite a block away.
Old Jan 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM

I agree with Stewbear, jump on a first class bus then take a cab as needed on arrival. In addition to SB's recommendations for Guunajuato we enjoyed visiting the played out silver mines above Guanajuato- La Valencia is one I beleive. A city bus or taxi will get you there.
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great advice. What about Queretaro? Would you suggest we take the first-class bus there with a cab from the bus station to the center of the city?

Any ideas about special things to do in SMA?
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Last summer we really enjoyed an afternoon at La Gruta, just outside San Miguel de Allende. We took a cab there and when we were done, the cab came back and picked us up (we prearranged the pick up time w/the driver). Great afternoon swimming in the caves, heated water, nice atmsphere, drinks and food available. Loved it.

V=http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g151932-d152831-Reviews-La_Gruta-San_Miguel_de_Allende_Central_Mexico_and_Gulf_Coas t.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=San+M...w=1366&bih=566

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6VNvoAIKzQ
Old Jan 6th, 2013, 07:55 PM

I was in Queretaro for 3 full days/4 nights last year. Mostly I just wandered around, walked thru the town, out around the aqueduct, and found lots of nice places tucked away all over the place, markets in squares I never would have known about if I had not just walked and walked all around the town.

The main market was worth a visit. I was there during quite a few political demonstrations surrounding the presidential election while I was there, esp in what I would call the plaza chica, not the main large Plaza de Armas but the smaller one, where there are restaurants on two sides of the plaza.

I was going to hike out arounds the Pena de Bernal (2nd biggest monolith in the world), but decided against it, and after I came home and read how difficult the route is to find and how thin the air gets, I was glad I decided not to do it. But that is a big attraction in the area, and if you are big hkers, look into it.
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:21 AM

It's been great reading all the above!! Lots of great info. I will be by myself in SMA, while a friend spends her days at a workshop. I would like to splurge on one paid tour. Usually it's no big deal because I have others to split excursions with. I know I could do it on my own, but I get so much out of having a knowledgeable tour guide. I just can't make up my mind between Queretaro or Guanajuato. I could pay to do one and do the other on my own? For SMA proper, I am going to do the volunteer guided historical tour.

The hot springs sound great too. By the way...I am WAY more into nature and history than I am into shopping. Any suggestions on which I should pick?
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Ocean - when are you going to be there?
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM

In a couple months...
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 04:05 PM

Queretaro is a nice town, but Guanajuato is nicer and more manageable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...07139404/show/
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 09:33 AM

We live in San Miguel de Allende. I agree that Guanajuanto is MUCH nicer than Queretaro. There are alot of things to see while you are there. Also try a side trip to Pozos. Really nice small mining town- but a lot of little shops to look in and many galleries to pass the time. Delores Hidalgo is up an coming and really enjoy walking and taking in the sites there as well- cheers to their wonderful Independence Museum. La Gruta is a favorite among us natives. There are a few buses that go there- but a taxi is easy to go there as well. Just make sure you arrange a time for them to pick you back up. There is also a great restaurant not far "Le Burger". Another idea if you have the time is take the bus to Mexico City and spend the day at 6 Flags. There are special Primera Plus buses that leave either Querearo or Celaya. The price includes the ride to and from as well as admission passes. We had a blast when we were there. There are lockers to rent and store you stuff at the park. Bring extra clothing (some of the rides are wet). Celaya is also another great town. Downtown has a lot to offer in sightseeing as well as some great bargain shops for buying. Hope you have a GREAT time!
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Bookmarking
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
This will probably get to you too late, but if you only have 9 days, skip Dolores (not "Delores"). La Burger (not Le Burger) is worth the trip, though. Guanajuato is OK, but your short time would be better spent in QRO. Skip Celaya as well unless you like traffic and graffiti.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM

I wouldn't spend so many days in SMA! 3 days maximum worth it, no more. In Guanajuato I recommend you to take a tour from the bus station at your arrival and choose the tour that goes around the city and finish in the town center. It's a good way to know what is outside the city and dedicate your time visiting the lovely town center! I completely disagree about what people are saying about Queretaro! For me is the nicest city of whole Mexico! (Of course talking about the historical center) It is vey clean, safe, has wonderful architecture, a lot of history and people are very friendly! From there you can also visit the Magical towns of Bernal and Tequisquiapan to taste its great Food and Wine gastronomy!