Search

Salta as base - Six Days in November

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salta as base - Six Days in November

Hello everyone.

I will be basing myself in Salta for six days in November and would like to visit the surrounding region. I don't want to rent a car while there. First off, is this a good amount of time to visit this area? It's possible that I can devote eight days to the area, but that would lessen the amount of time I have alloted for Buenos Aires down to seven days instead of nine. I was wondering what the approximate cost would be for hiring a guide to see the area and what would be included in the fee? Also, how much does one tip a personal guide for this type of service? Any suggestions on excursions without hiring a guide? Also, what about taking buses from one town to another to see the area?

Thanks in advance.

Ross
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM

I was about to post a similar thread, so I hope you don't mind if I piggyback off yours Ross.

I am a solo traveler, planning to visit BA for a week in November. Reading all the posts about how beautiful Salta is, I thought I'd tack a few days on at the end to visit. I understand when people say go visit Salta, they don't mean just the town, but really the town and surrounding areas, which requires a car/tour. Without a car/tour I'd be relegated to just the town of Salta, which I think is about a days worth of activities if what I've read is correct.

Given the fact that I'm traveling on my own, is this a financially feasible or responsible trip for say, 3 days/nights? It's about USD $280 r/t for the flight from BA to Salta...plus hotel, plus guide/transport. How much would that cost, approximately?

And I echo Ross's questions about bussing it between towns w/o hiring a guide or any other money saving tips.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Dear Ross,
I am glad to reply your questions regarding salta & the North Region.
We rent cars, and also seel excursions around the area.
first of all, travelling by bus from one place to the other is quiet long, the distances here are in between 180 - 200 kilometers meaning around 4 hours/5 & also 6 hours of bus...
The best way for a 6 day tour if you have a good budget is taking a car with a guide/driver and make a nice itinerary around the different locations. We have grat lanscapes & really bad shape roads....
On a private trip we include:
Vehicule with fuel, insuarance, driver (the costs of the driver are included for food & lodging)snacks on board, 2 entrances to different Museums.
Our permanent assistance.

Another way of travelling is taking different excursions for 1 or 2 days.
I can offer you options in english for group tours.
Please contact me for further info, if you are interested on the private plan & excursiones
best regards
tel: +54 387-4312097
connie
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Obvious ad, which is not allowed by any travel forum's rules.
Buyer beware.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:03 AM
mjs

I am in Colime now and will be returning to Salta tonight. Will be glad to answer questions when I return home in 2 weeks.
Hi Rooster! See you in BA soon!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Hi, dr. mjs!
Have a good time in Salta, Iguazú and BA and let's hope you get on-time flights!
You will be expected to write a great trip report! Be sure to live up to our expectations! LOL!!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Watched in a map, everything looks so simple, easy-driving. But things are not like they look. Long distances, road which are confusing, Which one to take? Make sure you can change a tyre, just in case. On the other hand, based in Salta means to drive twice the same way in the same day... I would not suggest that, better plan your trip setting the overnight in not more than 200 kms driving. 200 kms means 6 hour driving more or less considering the stops. Another detail... sometimes roads are not in good conditions, or "any" situation you can not manage.Sometimes a driving which takes 2 hour can turn in four... Take care.
AVRooster is right.
Beware of "vultures".There are plenty around.If you need further information I will be pleased to make an itinerary for you to drive by yourself with the advises you need. Here in the board...Let me know arrival and departure.
Warm regards.
Flintstones