Search

Panama with Kids

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panama with Kids

Hello. We are planning a 7 Day trip to Panama with our girls (7 and 10) and would love some advice. We have been to Costa Rica several times and love it but would like to try something else. We are going to see the Canal and after that we haven't decided. We like to go places that aren't too "touristy" and where we can get a good feel for the culture. We also would like to get a few days at the beach. We are thinking about going in the beginning of December. We have used this site for our trips to Costa Rica and got the best advice. Thanks everyone!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM

you might find the trip report and photos posted by petite1 here a helpful starting point.

I recommend you arrange your trip to include the Smithsonian project at Barro Colorado, the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal, Boquete and Volcan. If you have the time you should also consider adding a visit to the San Blas Islands.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cmcfong! I am overwhelmed with all the wonderful places in Panama and needed some recommendations for where to start. I will also check out the trip report by petite1.

We are pretty flexible with our dates and can go between August and December. Do you have any recommendations for the best/worst time to go? I know it is rainy season but we have been to Costa Rica for rainy season and if you are in the "right" spot (north), it is a great time to go.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM

My preference for times to visit is Dec-March. Panama is a very diverse and interesting country. I hope you check out the report from petite1. In fact there are a number of good reports of visits to Panama on this site. I will top a couple of favorites for you.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hey cmfong - thanks for topping my trip reports - I'm honored. I had seen rcmk's request but hadn't gotten round to responding.

I was thinking that maybe a nice trip might for folks who aren't looking for "touristy" (and a family) might BE Los Quetzales in Cerro Punta Guadelupe and then maybe to the beach at Las Olas near David. We wanted to get there but couldn't fit it in. I think Shillmac might be squeezing it in on her upcoming trip to Panama. Came highly recommended from our Boquet hosts at Coffee Estates Inn - and they'd know a good thing!

But rcmk - can you say more about what you and your family like to do and what kind of places appeal? Los Quetzales is nestled in Rainforest. Rustic but comfortable. Kids may or may not love...
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Glover and cmcfong for all of your suggestions. As for what my kids like to do....they love all vacations but Costa Rica (3 years ago) has been their favorite. Of course, they love the beach but they also love the rainforest....the more animals the better. We went to a very small town (Canos) and we were the only tourists and that was one of their favorite places. They loved eating ice cream and playing in the town square with the other kids. I will have to read about Los Quetzales but rustic and comfortable is perfect! Of course they like nice hotels, but we prefer to not stay in resorts. We would love some beach, rainforest and ???

I so appreciate your help. My husband and I spent several months in CR pre-kids and we have gone back twice but we knew the country so it wasn't too hard to plan. Panama sounds amazing but I am a little overwhelmed with all of the options. Thanks so much!