Guide for Salta & itinerary ?'s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOuld anyone suggest the name of a guide for the NW area - should you have one with you every day or allow for some days off. IS it necessary to arange guode ahead. We leave in 14 days. What are the absolute not to miss places? Also would flight into Jujuy and out of Salta make more sense?
Also could bus from Salta to Mendoza be broken up and what towns would make good stops?
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Hi

My husband and I travelled with Angie Valdez de Zaleski in the northwest. She is an experienced travel guide living in Salta city and knows the region inside and out. We were extremely glad that we hired her. She is fully biligual and we had many lengthy discussions about life in Argentina, the country's history, culture, politics and day-to-day living.

She was with us every day (5 days) but we were on the move each day. Maybe you could work out different arrangements if you wanted to move at a different pace or cover less territory.

It's probably a good idea to contact her in advance to make sure she's available for your dates. Plus, she'd be there to greet you at the airport in Salta.

If you contact her, tell her what you are hoping to see and accomplish and I'm sure she'd be able to help you build a good itinerary.

PS: She often posts on these boards under the name Giena or Flinstones.

Her contact info is: [email protected]
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:14 PM

I also used Angie and she is great!
You can read about her in my long trip report: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Argentina.html
Her e-mail is: [email protected]
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Angie should soon be here to answer your other questions, unless she is touring some lucky Salta visitor and does not have Internet access. Should that be the case, you'll have to be a little patient, but she'll be around.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I have been trying to reach her, but no response -will be patient!!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:56 PM

Just returned from BA and the north of Argentina. We flew into Salta from BA and back to BA from JuJuy after 6 fantastic days! The first day was in Salta with an afternoon city tour and then the next 5 days were with a car/driver who was excellent. It was arranged through Connie at [email protected] or www.marina-semisa.com.ar which is a local Salta agency very dedicated to providing tourists with great experiences in the area. We would highly recommend her! She is very bilingual and very personable. Our driver knew back roads and mountain villages that our Argentine friends had never seen on their many trips to the area. Our driver asked us what was of interest to us, planned the trips around those interests, and always had the next morning pickup arranged before leaving us in the late afternoon. He had suggestions as to the timing of visiting villages, and it was wonderful to see the tour buses leaving as we arrived so the crowds were gone. We enjoy exploring villages, markets, churchs, etc. on our own so often we would do that after he left us at the hotel or village square. We always had his cell phone number, and he said if we wanted to go somewhere else in the evening to just call him, but we never did. We would travel 4 - 6 hours per day in the car with stops for photographs, lunch, etc. We could take as much time as little time as we wanted at the stops which was wonderful. He studied anthropology so knew the mountains, villages, and many people in the area. To be sure to get a guide for your dates, it would be best to book ahead. While the mountains, villages, etc. were wonderful, I think the most impressive thing was the ruins at Quilmes. The village markets were impressive (and inexpensive)too so you might want to pack an empty tote or duffle bag for purchases! Pesos are more popular than credit cards in the small villages. It is a beautiful area, and you should have even more spring flowers and trees in bloom. Do plan for a wide variety of temperatures, since the mornings and evenings are cool in the mountains but warm in the afternoon. Enjoy!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 03:54 AM

I understand Angie has just returned from a long tour (no Internet). She should be with us soon!!!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Sorry... for the delay, no internet in the Valleys, you are right, Rooster.
dear Julebarbara; For a better use of your time I suggest to flight to Salta and use is as Headquarters You can see the Calchaquies Valleys a whole circuit in the mountains where the scenery changes dramtically everytime.
Two days are ok, but three will be perfect staying in Cachi and in Cafayate.
The Northern area is much bigger. And it depends on what you are itnerested in. For instance, we can reach the bolivian border and visit Yavi with its old church and the golden altar. The bolivian border itself is very interesting. You need three days at least if you consider to go there, but you should not miss the SAlt Flats and the 7 colour-mountains in Purmamarca.You need at least two days for the northern area, but you can also spend much more. It is on you. Pls.look at the e-mail address you got from Angie, maybe you made e mistake. It is [email protected].
Best regards.
Flintstones

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:31 AM

///...