guide for Salta and surrounding region

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, we are flying into Salta from Buenos Aires on June 15, 2007 for 3 days, 3 nights. We'd like to visit towns around the Salta region like Cachi, Cafayate etc and were wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a good guide. Ideally, we'd like to drive ourselves but after having read through many of the posts on this forum, I think it's best to have a driver/guide with you.

What are the highlights of this region? Are 3 days enough time to get a taste of the great NW?

Many thanks!!
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Research "Angie" and "Giena" (same person, the latter is her screen name) with the search feature of the tripadvisor.com Argentina forum

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...Argentina.html

You can also read my Salta trip report in that forum, where she is repeatedly mentioned.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Argentina.html

Angie posts here as "Flintstones", but she is extremely respectful of the rules, as well as a bit shy (LOL!!) and doesn't say she is a top independent guide.

Have a great time in our country and in "Salta La Linda". With Angie, OF COURSE.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Angie has lots of great reviews from many people on Fodors and TA who have traveled with her.

i also can recommend the guide we used Martin Alamo. He can be reached at martin_alamo @ hotmail.com. A recent Fodorite used him as well, based on my trip report, and had an excellent experience as well, as she recetnly reported.

three days will give you a taste, but more is always better!!

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM

Flintstones (Angie) is highly recommended by posters here. If she is not available, I can recommend Connie at [email protected]. She is a local Salta TA who booked our guide/driver (Ignacio)and car. He did an excellent job with a wonderful knowledge of the area, ruins, history, and especially unmarked mountain roads. He was flexible in schedule, drove about 6 -8 hours per day stopping anytime for photo opts or just to enjoy the scenery. He was available by cell phone after arrival at hotel in the late afternoon, but we never called him rather we spent that time enjoying various cities on our own. The Salta area could easily take weeks to really explore, but 3 days is better than none. Ruines de Quilmes (near Cafayate)and the MAAM museum in Salta were fascinating and highlights if you like history of Inca civilizations. Do try the empanadas and the local torrentes wine which are excellent. The NW is a fascinating area! You will wish you had more time there.
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks AVRooster... you are always so kind... Driving is very stressing in a place like the Calchauies Valleys ot the way tot the SAlt Flats, specially if you want to see the sceneries, they catch you, believe me and sometimes the lack of sign is also one of the complications. Besides the area needs of long drivings 150 kms, look much longer in these areas.
I suggest you to take one day for Purmamrca nd the SAlt Flats and two days for the Calchauies valleys staying at Colome... You will have a wide vision of the NW of Argentina.
Warm regards.
Flintstones