Saftey on Chile's trains

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 08:30 PM
elisa

Saftey on Chile's trains

my husband and i are traveling from santiago to southern chile (puerto mont) by train. we have heard mixed reviews about this. i don't care much about comfort as i do about saftey. we also know about the inexpensive flights, but thought that the train would be an excellent way to view the beautiful country.

Old Nov 6th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Rodrigo

Safety on trains in Chile is fair. If you want to travel to Puerto Montt be adviced that it is only possible in summer and takes a lot of hours. If you want to see the landscapes and ensure a safer trip, travel by bus during the day. There is a bus enterprise that departs at 8:00 AM and arrives at 22:00 PM. For specific information do not hesitate to contact me

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:17 PM
davemcj

this posting has been here for a while, but in case someone is looking for this info:

the train no longer runs from santiago south to puerto montt (certainly as of about 18 months ago, and am assuming that has not changed. You will want to verify before counting on this travel option). Not sure why this is not reflected in the travel guides, but it has been this way for some time.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
santiago

Chilean railways are been improving. Now we have the most modern train of South America in the Santiago-Chillan track. The project will consider to extent this to Temuco and after to Puerto Montt. Enjoy

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:44 PM
Kenny

The train does not run to Puerto Montt. I was down a month back and I took it from Santiago to Temuco (the end of the line).

Take Salon or Salon Cama. I don't recommend "Tourist Class" and I consider myself semi-intrepid. The trip from Santiago leaves in the late evening and takes some twelve to thirteen hours (three of which are the final 100 miles).

I recommend that you eat in the dining car (great food). But, and I stress this, take plenty of toilet paper. The restrooms are extremely dirty after ten hours of sloshing. And, like other parts of Chile, there is no TP on-hand.

Kenny

Note: e-mail me if you have any other questions about travel in Chile.