Chile Christmas 2007 trip ideas needed

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chile Christmas 2007 trip ideas needed

We are planning a trip to Chile for 14 days and planned on spending a couple days in Santiago. Then, perhaps take in some wine country and onto the Lake district. We would like to ultimately make our way to Torres del Paine for a 5 day hike. We are thinking of taking the bus and renting a car in the Lake district and then moving on by bus again thru Patagonia to Puerto Arenas and flying back. Any recommendations on hotels, bed and breakfasts and places to stop along the way. We are a family of three wishing to spend between $50.00 to $100.00 per night.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:48 PM

To go to Punta Arenas from Puerto Montt you have to enter Argentina as there is no road all the way. It takes 36 hours.
Bus company: Cruz del Sur.

Puerto Montt-Punta Arenas.
Runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Takes: 36 hours.
Fare: 80.00 US$.
Phone number: 56+65+254731
www.busescruzdelsur.cl
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I suspect that your schedule is rather ambitious. There will be a lot of travel time. Second comment Chile is not so cheap. You may have to spend a little more for comfortable accommodation. It would depend somewhat when you are planning to travel. It is more expensive in the high season December through the end of February.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your help
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM

We just got home on Tuesday from a thirteen day stay in Santiago with an overnight in Vina del Mar.

We stayed at the Hotel Orly and were very pleased with everything about it. We took two tours with AboutChile, not cheap but with only three others on one trip and one on another that was the way we liked it. Bus tours are cheaper but less personal.

As toid said, Chile is not so cheap.

We found Santiago to be friendly, clean and safe.

I hope you have a good trip!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM

I will be in Chile this Dec. too. Torres del Paine is expensive if you want to stay in a "hotel". The cheapest I found was $170 per night USD. Otherwise you may want to camp which is much cheaper.

From your post it sounded like you were planning to take a bus from Northern Chile to Patagonia. If so, I would recommend flying to Punta Arenas as you have limited time in Chile. Even to get from Punta Arenas to Torres del Paine will take time. I have been told about 4 hours now with the new road from Puerto Natales to Torres del Paine.