Reload this Page >

Help planning trip to Chile (Patagonia and Lakes District) in late October

Notices

Old Jul 27th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit my daughter, who is spending a semester in Chile. We are looking to travel at the end of October/early November. We will be arriving into Santiago and have 10 days. Seeking any tips on travel suggestions for Patagonia and the Lake District. Can we do both? Can we book ourselves, or do we need to work with a travel agent? Any recommendations for travel agents? We'd like to take our daughter to Patagonia, not sure if she will have time to travel with us to the Lake District. Can you suggest an itinerary and the best way to get between locations? We'd like to hike (moderate) and possibly take a boat excursion.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:54 AM

We spent 6 weeks in Chile in January/February - we flew into Patagonia (Punta Arenas) from Santiago (Sky Airlines) and stayed in Dreams Hotel which I would recommend. There are car hire companies within walking distance. Hire a car and drive via Punta Arenas (not worth stopping) to Torres del Paine. We stayed at 2 different hotels (Rio Serrano - very good) and another cheaper but still expensive one in another part of the park - which was worth doing or else you end up doubling back on yourself a lot). Three nights is enough - we did some short walks and felt we had seen plenty - but if you want to do longer hikes then add a night or two. You don't need to use an agent - when you pay the park entrance at the gate there is a good tourist office which will give you maps, trekking routes/information etc - and all hotels have travel desks to help. You can book excursions in the hotels for the same price as at the tourist office. Drive back to Punta Arenas and stay overnight - it is around 4/5 hours from TDP to PA - then fly up to Puerto Montt. Hire a car and explore the Lake District - we stayed near Puerto Varas - visit the Volcano Osorno, Frutillar etc. You can fly back to Santiago - but if you have time I would recommend a side trip to Chiloe - easy to take the ferry across from Pargua to Chacao - we stayed in Castro at the Palafito del Mar which was great. In 10 days you should spend 1/2 in Punta Arenas (depending on flight timings), 3 in TDP, and 5 in and around Puerto Varas/Chiloe.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't realize Punta Arenas was so far from TDP. That will be something to consider. What was the second hotel you stayed at in TDP? Was this your first trip to Chile? It sounds like you were able to get around well on your own.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Yes - it was our first trip but we have been to Argentina and did something similar. We always travel independently if we possibly can. Punta Arenas to TDP is not THAT far - the roads are good and empty, no traffic at all - pleasant driving. The other hotel we stayed in was Hosteria Pehoe - but in all honesty it was nothing like the calibre of Rio Serrano - more 2*. Beautifully located though and nothing really wrong with it, a bit shabby and fraying round the edges. We loved Chile - if you email me ([email protected]) I am very happy to answer any questions as much as I can.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 05:14 PM

You will have to consider the weather in October. The warm weather comes late to the lake district and the area around Puerto Montt (Puerto Varas, Chiloe) is a lovely green for a reason. It might be quite cold and wet. When it is, the views disappear.

If you want to visit Patagonia you are going to have to start planning now. I don't think the flights to Puerto Natales, closer to Torres del Paine, will be running that early in the season but you could check. That shaves 3 hours off getting there from Punta Arenas.

It is not the optimum time to visit either. Have you considered going north to San Pedro de Atacama or visiting Easter Island? Both would be better destinations at that time of year. Both are world class destinations.
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

That's good information to know. We are actually thinking of moving our trip to December when our daughter is finished with classes. We're thinking around Dec 5-17. Do you think we'd be better off in December?
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 07:45 AM

December would definitely be better, although weather in the lake district can be cool or rainy even then. However, you stand a much better chance of good weather.

If booking flights in Chile, try using the Chile version of LATAM for better pricing. Booking ahead as far as possible can also get you a much better price. Your choices are basically LATAM or SKY. But the overnight buses are very comfortable in the higher service brackets if you want to compare prices.