Search

Safety and Water Issues??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Safety and Water Issues??

I am wondering why Mexico is such a vacation destination if there are issues about water? Also is it really a safe place to bring the kids? Does anyone know anything about the Hilton in Cancun? Would you Fodor experts recommend going to Mexico with Kids? How do you avoid the water issue?
Thanks
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico, at least the major tourist areas, is a very safe place to visit, every bit as safe as the U.S. I am sure Puerto Vallarta is a heck of a lot safer than Washington D.C.!
Re. the water; I drank tap water in Cancun at our Marriott hotel, ate fresh fish at a beachside palapa in Isla Mujeres, and neither I nor my family had any problems. We did get "turista" in Puerto Vallarta (how, I can't say), but a little Pepto Bismol, and we were all fine!
Mexico is great, I wish I could afford a 2nd home there! Don't be afraid to venture out just a bit !!! Take the kids!
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Because Mexico is a truly amazing country!! As a vacation destination it is easy to get to various resort areas from the US and Canada.

You should drink bottled water, that certainly doesn't stop me from going.

I'm pretty sure your kids would be "safe" at the Cancun Hilton. I'm not sure what kind of thing you're referring to, besides drinking water?

But when people are hestitant about Mexico, I would never push. It *is* a foreign country, and things don't always click along like Disneyland.

Hawaii is what I would recommend if you have reservations about Mexico, whatever those reasons, whether well-founded or not. It's your trip, you want to be comfortable, not worried.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM

My kids are 17 and 19 and we have been going to Mexico since before they could walk. As with the water availible to 90 percent of the world's population, tap water is (generally) not potable in Mexico. People are often surprised to find that any Mexicans who can afford it don't drink tap water. Drink bottled water,inform youself about where you are going, use common sense and, in most cases, you will have a great time.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 08:24 AM

No problema con agua botella! ben traveling to Mexico for over 20 years and never have had "turista". Drink bottled water, don't get too much sun (sunscreen a must), and don't over indulge and you'll be fine!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Early on in traveling to Puerto Vallarta, we asked our new local friend, "Do Mexicans drink the water?"

He looked at us like we were crazy, and said carefully "Well yes, - the bottled water!"
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM

The water in PV has passed International Standards for 7 years running, but most people buy a garafon (20L) from the several trucks that come by every day, for 15 pesos.
It's a taste thing, mostly.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:08 PM

Soory, meant to add.
Vallarta is the safest place I've ever lived, don't worry about the kids, BUT do watch yourself when crossing the road.
Used to be that the vehicles had the right of way.
They changed that some years ago, but I don't think they told anybody.