Search

want to avoid getting sick

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want to avoid getting sick

will be going to central Mexico soon and we want to practice smart eating habits to avoid getting sick and ruining our trip. Will be going to Guadalajara and Guanajuato and staying in good hotels. Any suggestions or things to watch out for while eating in restuarants other than &quot;drink only bottled water&quot;. thanks<BR>steve
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 11:45 AM

We just got back from Mexico a couple of weeks ago. We spent a few days in Guadalajara on this trip, and had absolutely no health problems. (We were also in Mexico City, Sayulita and Puerto Vallarta.) We usually drink bottled water, although I did drink water at restaurants, also had ice in my drinks, no problems. I don't think we took any special precautions to be honest. We both love ice cream when we're in Mexico (especially coconut and cajeta), so had that several times. In Mexico City, I was really thirsty while wandering around and I bought an orange juice from a street vendor - no ill effects, so I guess it was fine. I would be careful of street food in general though. <BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 01:03 PM
blpar

Two days after returning from a week in the Cancun area last month, I was quite sick and tested positive for salmonella. After many questions from a state health worker, she thought my most likely source was from a chicken salad from Hard Rock Cafe. NOT because it was Mexico, but because I took leftovers with me (refrigerated with 1/2 hour). Possibly I touched a light switch in a bathroom that was contaminated. I wouldn't want to be that sick again, but it won't stop me from returning to Mexico. Sounds like you are going to use common sense so hopefully your chances of getting sick will be small.

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Taking an acidophilus tablet before eating is a tried and true way to prevent the good bugs in Mexico from overtaking the good bugs in your intestines that come from the USA. It is in the vitamin section of your store and is simply dried yougurt
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 05:44 PM

We just got back from Mexico. My husband has severe stomach problems and Celiac disease and everyone said we were crazy to go to mexico. We were FINE and had a great vacation! I researched this topic ALOT so here's my 2 cents:<BR>Take accidophilus 2 times a day for 2 weeks before leaving - - buy the good stuff kept in the refrigerator at the health food store not just the cahin drugstore variety.<BR>Have a Hepatitus A shot at least 3 weks before you leave - it will protect you from food-borne Hep A.<BR>Starting the day you leave - eat 2 Pepto Bismal tablets morning and evening and continue this for the entire trip. (all of the above suggestions from our dr.)<BR>Take a prescription of Cipro with you just in case you need it.<BR>Drink bottled beverages and water only. Avoid ice unless you KNOW it is purified. Brush your teeth with bottled water and keep your mouth shut in the shower and anywhere you go swimming.<BR>Use anti-bacterial hand purifiers or wipes frequently.<BR>Almost all of the major hotels and resorts are very safe. Stay away from buffet foods that look like they may have been leftsitting for any time. Have a great vacation!
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 06:20 PM

Hi nonstop,<BR>I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Latin America and have also spent a great deal of time in Mexico so I have lots of experience in avoiding illness caused by food and water. Here are the basics for avoiding getting sick from contaminated food or water while in Mexico. <BR>1. Drink bottled water<BR>2. no ice in drinks<BR>3. when you order juice in restaurants ask for &quot;jugo natural&quot; which has no water added.<BR>4. don't eat food from street vendors<BR>5. eat only fruit that is peeled <BR>6. avoid salads and other uncooked food<BR>7. brush teeth with bottled water<BR>8. always wash your hands before eating<BR>If you do all of the above you will cut down your chances of getting sick tremendously. You can follow all of the above precautions and still have a great time and experience the great dining that Mexico has to offer. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info!:<BR>Some really good suggestions and things I had not thought of. I am a bit of an adventuresome sort so it sounds like I need to be a little careful. I had not thought about &quot;not eating salads&quot; or brushing teeth with bottled water. I will try all of the precautionary suggestions as that is new info for me. At one time I thought there was a drug that a dr. could prescribe as a preventative but I don't know the name. I wonder if Cipro can be bought over the counter in Mexico? I take it when I have a diverticulitis flare but once my supply runs out I can be in trouble if I get a severe intestinal infection. Thanks for all the valuable info.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 07:05 AM

When we travel in Mexico (just got back), we take a 250 mg Cipro daily (prescribed by our Dr.). I have never seen Cipro over the counter in Mexico, but you can get Bactrim, which also works (my husband &amp; I are both allergic). We have been to Mexico without taking anything, but my Dr. feels it is a good idea to take Cipro daily from the time you get on your plane until you get home. If you get sick, you get verrrry sick &amp; it could ruin your trip. Have fun!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Just to throw my 2 cents in, you really do cut down on your chances of getting ill by taking the precautions that the other posters mentioned.<BR>If you are very concerned about it, you can do some or all of the things mentioned.<BR>My husband and I have traveled the Yucatan extensively over the past 10 years, and have had more than 500 meals in Mexico. (I won't tell you how much tequila and how many beers and Margaritas I think we've had <BR>My husband has never been sick, and I've been sick on two different occasions for one day only.<BR>The only special precaution we take is drinking bottled water.<BR>While I think it is a good idea to let your anxiety level dictate what things you do to avoid problems, don't let your fear get in the way of having a wonderful time and trying lots of different eating experiences.<BR>Chances are extremely high that you will have no troubles.<BR>I would add to AVOID buffets. The food sits out for hours in many places.<BR>Have a great time!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bottled water for drinking and teethbrushing, no salads, only fresh fruit that can be peeled, are basics to follow for sure.<BR><BR>I have mixed feelings about some of the other comments... because I have gotten sick several times from food in mainstream tourist restaurants and never from eating at the taco stands on the street or vendors on the beach. I'm not giving this as advice, just telling my personal experiences.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Suze:<BR>what cities were you in where you got sick? I went and bought the acidophillus tablets today at the health food store and they were very high on them. My wife will see her dr. tomorrow and get his advice as well
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Puerto Vallarta
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 11:29 AM

But I certainly don't think you can blame a city! Simply poorly handled or insufficient refrigeration especially of meat and dairy is my best guess. Could happen anywhere!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

I called my Dr. today and he gave me a prescription for Cipro. Said the minute I feel sick I should start taking 2 a day. Also said to drink an entire bottle of pepto bismol to coat my stomach.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:22 PM

Cipro is avaible in MX, but you should not need it. Have been to Mexico 100 times + and sick only once due to bad judgement. Follow the standard advice, bottled water, peeled fruit, etc. I have tried the peto bismol route and it really messees my insides up. My personal discipline, backed up by medical research is lots of yougurt. I start eating it couple of weeks prior to depature then have it a couple of times a day in Mexico. Mexicans that can afford it are not drinking the little yogurt drinks all the time because they taste good. Have a regular yougurt or a drink with live lactobacilus, like &quot;Yakult&quot; a couple of times a day. I am convinced in works. I travel all over the country in local buses, eating in local retaurants and have been o.k. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:06 PM

A trick that I have used to remember not to use tap water when brushing my teeth, is to put a washcloth, kleenex or something over the tap. This keeps me from automatically turning on the tap.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 07:18 AM

All the advice about food and drink are on the mark, but I would also emphasize hygiene! You just can't wash your hands often enough. Consider every door knob, every faucet, every light switch the enemy! Take some Clorox wipes (pullouts like Baby wipes)with you and wipe down your hotel door knobs, telephone, light switches, toilet seat, TV remote,etc as well as all the handles and knobs in your rent car. Use paper towels or tissue to turn on faucets, flush, and open the door of restrooms. You can get sample size bottles of hand sanitizers at the drug stores. Everyone should have one in purse or pocket all the time.<BR>Sounds paranoid? It's just a little extra effort that quickly becomes a habit. I pretty much eat and drink what I choose. I believe the extra precautions keep me from getting sick.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone: since I started this thread I wanted to let you know we returned from Mexico with very little problems (I posted a trip report) Everyone's advice about preventative measures was heeded by us. Only one day did my stomach get upset and I immediately followed the dr's orders about drinking the entire bottle of Pepto Bismol. He gave me Cipro to take if I developed abdominol pains. I didn't need to take it. I think we would have been ok on all the food at the hotels and nicer restuarants but in general we stayed away from salads, fruits with edible skins, i.e. apples, strawberries, etc. WE did drink bottled water and some with ice in it at the hotels. Other times we just thought better of taking a glass or any ice. As hard as it was to resist, we did not eat from any street vendors. The hardest part, was remembering to rinse my toothbrush with bottled water. You get so used to just running it under the faucet that I had to be really careful. My wife had an upset stomach most of the time and when she got home she went to the dr. and he said she had a &quot;water parasite&quot; which was very common with vistors to Mexico. He prescribed Metronidzaole for her. He didn't think it was anything serious. Said it was common for one person to get it and the other not get it. She did not get any of severe abdominale pains or fever like some people get. So, all in all, I was probably overcautious but I think that is the best way to be if you are spending good money to have a fun vacation. Thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 08:18 AM

I had one of those water parasites that you mentioned and was extremely sick for almost 2 monthes. I was prescribed Bactrim and took it for 3 weeks, but it took a long time for it to totally exit my system and feel back to normal. I ended up losing 15 pounds and was a prisoner to the bathroom for weeks. My husband never got sick. I was careful about bottled water but we did eat off property a few times. We stayed at the Royal Hideaway. Who knows where I got it?? The important thing is to be careful and if you remain sick after returning home, see a Dr.! I also am a firm believer in the lactobacillus tablets. Good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I get sick every time I return from Mexico. NOT while I am there but when I come home. low grade fever, and an intestinal problem. This has happened to me about 5 times in a row. I am surprised any of your Dr.s would recommend Cipro. I am quite fond of Cipro and try to take it with me, but I have to beg for the presription from my Dr. They claim what I have when I return from Mexico Cirpo will not help any. It is non effective. I am glad you had a great time and nothing serious. I love Mexico. I am always leary about going since I always have issues upon returning. But it passes in several days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -