safe inexpensive hotel near SJO airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are meeting my 21 yr old daughter but I have to find a place for her to stay the night before we arrive. Her schedule changed and she'll be on her own - moved out of her Tico family house. I was reading about Hotel Mirador Pico Blanco and it sounds like it's in a safe neighborhood, inexpensive and a short distance from SJO. Has anyone heard about this place or have a better recommendation for her?

I am so excited about our first trip to Costa Rica I can hardly stand it! We have ten days and I hope to see La Paz Waterfall Gardens for one day, two days at Arenal, two days at Monteverde, Then the big decision is which beaches we will have time to visit. On the one hand, I want to see the Guanacaste beaches, and thought about the beaches on the Nicoya Peninsula. But I don't know how hard it is to drive there from Monteverde and then still have time to get to Manuel Antonio. I really wanted to see that, too! Am I trying to fit too much into such a short time? If I drive to Samara or even all the way around the peninsula/ferry back to Puntarenas and on to MA - will I be cheating myself out of laid-back beach time? I don't want to spend the whole time driving. I'd probably have to limit our stay in Monteverde to one night if we go that route.

Plus I read that you have to time your arrival at the ferry or you might not even get on. It kind of sounds stressful. Which makes me think I should just relax and pick one beach area.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:37 AM

www.hotelvillabonita.com

or

www.adventure-inn.com

2K from SJO free xport

works best for me.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:38 AM

www.playamontezuma.net

www.ylangylangresort.com

best beach hotel in that area

have fun
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM

We liked the Adventure Inn as well. They'll pay your cab fare from the airport if you show them your receipt.

We also like Hotel La Rosa de Americas. We've stayed there twice. It's a short ride from the airport.

Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Qwovodis and emavejess - I'm going to check out all those links.

qwovadis- So, did you like the Montezuma beaches? Have you ever taken the ferry across to Puntarenas? Does it run pretty regular or do you have to schedule it tightly? We kind of want to see MA as well but not sure if it's too much driving in a short time.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM

http://www.trappfam.com/Alajuela/INDEX.HTM

They get great reviews, are very close to SJO, and I'd probably pick them the next time I go.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Hotel Brilla Sol.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM

i just got back from another trip to costa rica: near the sjo airport and not too much money: try villa dolce hotel (right off highway one in alajuela) and hotel la rosa de america ( near highway one on highway 3 in an area of beautiful plant nurseries (viveros). both of these places are west of the airport so you dont have to go into san jose city. dont stay at the adventure inn; its wierd and not a good value. the Hotel Mirador Pico Blanco place you mention is a long ways from the airport and once you get off highway one the traffic is crazy. there arent any recent trip advisor reviews; be careful.

you should go to the nicoya peninsula beaches; they are incredible. there is no need to go to any other beaches. trust me, youll love it there.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 10:19 AM

The Buenavista Hotel in Alajuela -- they provide free airport transfers and wonderful hospitality!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Brilla Sol provides free airport transfer. $55 per night, breakfast included, swimming pool, 5 minutes from airport, family ownedit's a little jungle oasis.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Or you could try the Orquideas Inn in Alajuela. We stayed there in 2004; it's in a safe area, clean, friendly staff.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 04:25 AM

Montezuma easy to get to regular ferries...

also like www.casabellarita.com around airport

more of a boutique hotel though for upscale...
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, thanks everybody. We're staying at the Orquideas Inn and it turns out my daughter was invited to stay another night with her "Tico" family so that makes me happy. I know she'll be safe there. I can't wait to see her.