Transport from Belize Airport to Trek Stop, etc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK,, now I have to figure out how to get from the airport to Trek Stop and we really do not want to take the bus. Any suggestions for shuttles, etc?

Also need to get from Trek Stop to Caves Branch.

What would be the best way to see a couple of the ruins around SI from Trek Stop? Should we hire a tour company, taxi, etc. I have been thinking of renting a car but boy does that seem expensive at about $580 for 6 days!!! Can take a taxi or bus to Xunantunich and Cahal Pech?

Will we be able to get around very easy without a car? We do not want to spend all of our time at Trek Stop and Caves Branch, other then tours.

Sindy
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Hi, again. I wouldn't rent a car - too spendy and it would just sit a lot of the time. I'm really fond of buses, though. They're cheap and interesting and run right by the places you're staying. Don't be afraid to rub elbows with locals a bit - they're what make Belize so great in my opinion.

In your search for a shuttle, first email the folks at the Trek Stop about their cost for a shuttle. The local tour ops offer them, too, or you could contact an outside provider. I haven't used either of these yet but they've been recommended to me:

William Hofma Shuttle <[email protected]>
Raul Marchand Tours <[email protected]>

From the Trek Stop to Caves Branch you could hire the same party or grab a bus right by the Trek Stop and bus to Belmopan. From there you could switch to a Dangriga-bound bus and get off at Caves Branch or you could hire a taxi (they'll be watching for you) in Belmopan for the trip the Caves Branch; that way you don't have to hike in from the road. Caves Branch offers shuttles, too.

The hand crank ferry that crosses the river to Xunantunich is just a quarter of a mile (half a mile, maybe?) from the Trek Stop. It's about a mile up the hill from there to the ruins. If you'd rather taxi or shuttle, talk to Judy, John, and Tino at the Trek Stop - they can provide it or help you figure it out. A bus won't do you any good for that one since the bus wouldn't cross on the ferry or help you up the hill.

Cahal Pech from TTS would be a bus ride into San Ignacio and a walk up the hill or a taxi ride there (or talk to the Trek Stop folks about a lift). Neither of those ruins requires a guide imo. There are several other ruins in the area that would require a tour or taxi, at least (check your guide book).

Sounds like you're going to have tours planned nearly every day. Be sure to leave as much time as you can squeeze around them to relax in a hammock or river, talk to locals and other travelers, read a good book. We wished at The Trek Stop we'd had a day just to swing in their lovely hammocks and explore the village; several of the other stops (including Caves Branch) we built time in and are grateful for those memories, too. Happy trails!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM

We just William Hofma he is really such a nice guy. He charged us $110 to go from the airport to San Ignacio. He only charged us half to go back as he needed us to leave 30 mins earlier due to another arrival at the airport.

We really enjoyed the time we spent with him and he is a very careful driver (we felt very safe with our three kids in his van).

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

hopefulist, Funny thing is that I always plan everything and then we do what we feel like doing everyday, LOL! The only things I think really need to be scheduled are ATM and maybe the black hole drop.

I have not made reservations at CB yet, probably will tomorrow, so I wanted to ask you about Macal River Camp. Since we are staying at Trek Stop for a couple of days then, in your humble opinion, do you think it would be better to stay the last 3 days at CB or MRC? I hear the CB is kind of out there and you are pretty much stuck at the lodge. Is it the same at MRC?

Cost is not the real problem except at CB you get the best value if you want to stay 5 days and I really don't want to spend 5 of our 6 days in one place. I want this to be a nice trip but if I don't have to spend a fortune then I would be a happier camper.

If you would rather reply in a PM I totally understand.

Sindy
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 06:26 AM

If you (or your boys) want to do the Black Hole Drop you're better off at CB or someplace closer than MRJC, I think. BHD is a very full day trip, leaving before 9am (at least when we did it). You'd have to leave really early (7am, maybe?) and probably get back after dark if you were staying at MRJC. It's possible, though, if Caves Branch will let you schedule and you can afford whatever the shuttle cost is.

Both CB and MRJC have beautiful jungle settings and nice cabins. What CB offers better than anyone is their specific set of adventures; they also have more lodging options (like the Treehouse) and electricity in the cabins to run fans. They have very cool outdoor showers and a river you can swim in if the water level is appropriate (we loved that when we were there). They wouldn't let us hike the trails leading from there without a guide. Even the trails between St. Herman's Cave and the Blue Hole may be off limits now as there was a robbery recently. We found CB's proximity to the Blue Hole and the hiking near there to be a nice advantage in 2003; it's a mile or so away from CB across the Hummingbird Highway from the entrance. Ian and the guides were very friendly and our kids (aged 17, 18, and 20 at the time) played cards with the guides after dinner and really enjoyed that. It would be hard/expensiv/practically impossible to shuttle to the nearest town for alternative food which would be Belmopan, not the most atmospheric place.

We liked the food better at MRJC, though it was good both places, and you can hike for hours from there and use the canoes, pool (new), butterfly place, museum, internet, and tours at Chaa Creek. We saw more wildlife there from our bunks and hammocks (parrots, toucans, aracaris, motmots, iguanas, lots of tarantulas, a few scorpions) than we did at CB, even counting the adventures. We loved the camp host, Dolcio, and his wife who did the cooking. Dinner and breakfast are provided and lunch could be part of a tour or you could head into town since it's near San Ignacio; there's a shuttle fee but we avoided it by riding in the service truck when it was making a run.

Both are good choices. For us, MRJC was more of a do-your-own-thing place, a gorgeous jungle setting with great food and nice facilities (no electricity). The 4 of us who did the Black Hole Drop at CB loved the adventure of it but for the setting, food, available free adventures, and proximity to SI we liked MRJC better. It was quieter and felt more like camping in an amazing jungle setting with comfortable beds, trails lined with kerosene lamps, a doting host, and great food. Caves Branch has a nice setting, too, but felt more like a resort.

Don't know if all that is more helpful or confusing! Maybe one or the other will be booked during your days and that will make the decision for you. Keep us posted!