Catching shuttles in Guatemala?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Guatemala and am not getting a clear picture of the shuttle transportation that exists. I'm traveling alone and don't have a pre-arranged itinerary. Is it possible to just show up and catch a shuttle, say from Tikal back to Flores, Guatemala airport to Antigua, and Antigua to Atitlan ? Or is that something you have to reserve/arrange ahead of time?

Also, I'm flying into Flores but may be stuck with an evening flight. What is the latest I can expect to catch a shuttle from Flores in order to get up to a hotel at Tikal?

Finally, can anyone recommend the best way to get from Panajachel to Takalik Abaj? Is there a shuttle or some other service, or do I have to take the chicken bus?
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM

GUA to Antigua there will be shuttles unless your flight is late. In any event taxis cost $25-30 per trip (you could try to find someone to share with before you leave the airport if you're traveling by yourself. I took a taxi last time because I didn't want to wait around for the shuttle to fill.

Between Tikal and Flores we've just asked around the parking lot to find a shuttle. From Flores to Tikal in 2007 we hired a taxi (same price) because it was easy and quick. I think I'd stay in Flores rather than make the trip to Tikal after dark.

Tons of Antigua tour agencies offer shuttles to Atitlán. You shouldn't have trouble arranging one the night before. Can't help you with Takalik Abaj.

If you'd like to set anything up ahead you could try Rainbow Travel or Adrenalina.
http://rainbowtravelcenter.com/
http://adrenalinatours.com/

Happy trails and keep us posted!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, hopefulist, that's definitely helpful.

While I have your attention; I see you've been to guatemala a couple times (love your pictures, BTW!). I'm hoping to find an interesting, out-of-the-way lodging to spend a couple days relaxing, learning, hiking, whatever. Maybe a coffee farm, an eco-lodge, something like that. Just looking to "get away from it all," as they say. Would you have any recommendations on a unique place to stay in either the Western Highlands or the Peten? Or maybe elsewhere?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Hi
We just spent almost 3 weeks in Guatemala and have rode on a Banana workers bus, tractor, a collectivo( 12 person bus sits 18) cars, vans, chicken buses, luxury buses, 2nd class buses and water taxi's. We didn't find a donkey pulling a cart or we probably would have rode it. If you land in Guatemala City have a preplanned escape route as it is not a nice place to look for a ride. A taxi from downtown to Antigua cost about $35. In Antigua we stayed at Posada San Sebastion $50. It was real cool with its old antiques. There are 3 or 4 hostels for 10-12 bucks a night in Antigua. We booked a shuttle form Antigua to Pana which is pretty standard. The chicken buses look kinda scarey. The roads are the most twisted things you will ever see. From Rio Hondo we took the Norte bus. Then we started taking any bus you could imagine to Flores. The collectivo bus system is very impressive as well as most buses you just sand on the side of the road and wave at them they will also wave,and flash lights at you.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM

I'm sorry but I can't really help much with that; when I'm in Guatemala I prefer to stay with host families in towns and villages. For what it's worth, the Petén is HOT while the highlands are springlike year round. Also, do you have a good guide book? Moon Handbook is good and I LOVE the Rough Guide - brand new edition shipped 2 weeks ago.

Guatemala is pretty addictive - I'll be heading down for my 6th visit this summer and I'm sure it won't be the last. Glad you liked the pictures. Happy trails!