Visiting Roatan - should we go to the Copan Ruins?

Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Roatan - should we go to the Copan Ruins?

We are spending 7 nights in Roatan (not set in stone yet) and I'm wondering if our flight in, at this point it looks like San Pedro Sula, should include a stop and a day trip to the ruins. Is it really a 5 hour bus ride? Is that usually done in one day or over night? We love to snorkel but I feel that we should see the ruins since we'll probably never be there again... but I only have Sat to Sat. What's the thought?
Thanks
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

And, what about Lands End Resort? Good place to stay?
Thanks -
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 05:38 AM

I don't really know Lands End - we've stayed on the other end of Roatán and rented a small house there.

Copán is amazing and worth the time imo. It's a 3 hour bus trip to Copán Ruinas from San Pedro Sula but you have to taxi or shuttle to the bus station 1st. If you can afford a private driver, I can give you the name and contact info of a great one, likely under 3 hours from the airport.

I've spent a total of more than a month in Copán over the last few years and I'd suggest at least 1 night. In addition to the ruins, the town itself is lovely, there are fascinating villages and mountains, and lots of hiking and things to see like a butterfly place and an exotic bird park.

Loads of photos with blog and travelogue links below. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

The pictures are amazing. So - would you suggest flying into San Pedro Sula - taking a trip to Copan over night and then heading to La Ceida to catch a ferry to Roatan? You're like my own personal travel agent!!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

And, while I'm on the subject - where did you rent a home? I'm looking at something in Orchid Village (I think it's Village).
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Yes, or you can fly to Roatán from San Pedro Sula and save yourself 3 hours on a bus + the ferry trip + waiting time. Spendier, though.

We rented a little rustic house near the beach in a residential area in Sandy Bay, a few miles east of West End. It was perfect for us but is no longer available. I haven't heard of Orchid Village but I'm sure it's a rental home or condo area. I have a friend who has a nice new 2 bedroom condo in West End they rent for just over $1000/week when they're not there; I can get you the contact info if you're interested. I've read some good things about West Bay Lodge, too: http://www.westbaylodge.com/

Keep us posted!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Okay - here I am now...
Fly into San Pedro Sula early Saturday morn and looking for something to do this day. Take a day trip to the Copan Ruins on Sunday. Leave for Roatan in the morning on Monday and stay until Saturday evening.
Does anyone have any suggestions for something quiet to do in San Pedro Sula on Saturday. We will be traveling all night (a 2:47 am flight) and arriving at 6:30 in the morning. I know that we won't be able to check in but we'll leave our stuff at the hotel and explore.
Thanks for your help -
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:09 PM

San Pedro Sula is my least favorite place in Central America so I'd get the heck out of dodge. There are some nature areas day trip close if you're willing to stay the night in SPS and hire a tour; the places sound interesting but I would not be willing to do that, personally.

Arriving early I'd hire a private driver to meet you at the airport (quick, easy, piece of mind, and I know an excellent driver) and spirit you away to Copán. There's no end of wonderful things to do there in addition to the ruins including great lodging and eating options, hiking, museums, bird park, butterfly farm - all terrific. I think you'd be happy you'd spent your night there instead of in SPS. Just my 2 limpiras' worth...
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay - safe place to hire a driver??? Spending time in Copan sounds great. I guess I need to hire a driver back to SPS to get the flight to Roatan.
Thanks - good to know about SPS - didn't find anything worth my time without taking just another tour out of town.
Maybe we should fly to Roatan on Sunday and just spend the one night in Copan.
Thanks, thanks, thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM

Wow you've got a lot planned for Saturday and Sunday. I've done the bus ride from Copan to San Pedro Sula (SPS) and if you can change it I would say forget about hanging around SPS on Saturday and go directly to Copan. In my opinion there isn't much worth hanging out in SPS for. Spend Saturday night and Sunday night in Copan, get a driver or the bus to SPS airport early on Monday to make your flight to Roatan.

Copan Ruins...awesome, drink LOTS of water though. Especially if you are not acclimatized yet.
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...8060/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...6200/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...5000/tpod.html

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...5680/tpod.html Also good to check out in Copan.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...7760/tpod.html

When you do get to Roatan, if you are staying at Lands End, Adi will take good care of you. And be sure to stroll into West End and stop for cold drink and probably meet some full-time expats at www.sundowners.com

I now live on Roatan full-time...couldn't resist! The Roatan Vortex pulled me in!

http://roatanvortex.com
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Okay Roatanvortex...
If we hop off the flight at 6:30 am and head straight to Copan should we come back that night (take a day tour) or can we get back in the early morning for a 10:30 am flight to Roatan? Then, whichever we decide, where should we stay in either place?
In Roatan, what do you know about the West Bay Lodge?
I checked out Lands End, Adi was great in email and I liked the resort, I'm just concerned about the non-refundable deposit b/c with my husband's job we may have to cancel and reschedule. He's a Broadway musician and if he's on a new show he is "locked in" for a period of time - so saying "no, I don't want the job" is not really an option. That is if we want to eat! I can't book anything without the opportunity to get the deposit back. I'd love to rent a house, and still may if I get brave enough, but a place that offers refundable deposits (and has a kitchen) is my best deal.
Thanks - keep the ideas coming, folks! I hate planning this alone (secrets are tough)!
Dorie
Suggest away -
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

BTW, Roatanvortex, love the pictures!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I would stay over night in Copan and schedule an early run to the airport in SPS.

Refunds on deposits any where on Roatan can be tough, some have clauses that allow partial refunds depending on how close to the travel date you cancel.

I think we have two conversations going at once here. On the other stream I suggested www.cocolobo.com in West End. It is actually close to Lands End but I think more what you are looking for. West Bay Lodge is run by good friends Celeste and Milosh (not sure how to spell his name) If you are looking for the "beach" without the trappings of a high end resort in West bay, they would take great care of you.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Cocolobo looks nice but we're talking about 4 people - and I'm not that interested in staying near the restaurants and bars. Looking for quiet. West Bay Lodge looks like a plan for now.
So, I'm going to try to find out how I get back from Copan early and plan on that.
Thanks for your help - Dorie
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM

Just 24 hours is a pretty short time in Copán imo, but others have done worse. I usually stay in homestays there but can recommend these 2 wonderful places:
http://casadecafecopan.com/
http://www.haciendasanlucas.com/

Miguel Martel is a wonderful, knowledgeable bilingual driver; if he's not available he can make good arrangements for you. His number is (504) 962-00372, dial 011 1st if calling from the US.

Activity ideas in my flickr link, above. Happy trails!