?'s about the Gilded Iguana and Harmony Hotel, Nosara, Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, Well we decided our new place to try in Costa Rica this time will be Nosara. We are a family of 4 - 2 daughters age 18 and 13. I was reading that the Gilded Iguana has live music - does anyone know if it interferes with sleeping? The Harmony Hotel looks wonderful also and not as rustic. Can not seem to find any reviews on The Gilded Iguana - any help would be greatly appreciated. Is the Gilded Iguana closer to the beach than the Harmony Hotel. It almost seems like this may have been what Tamarindo was like years ago! Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:49 PM

I understand that the Harmony is the old Villa Taype which used to be my first choice in Nosara because of it's location to the beach. They used to have cabins separate from the main hotel(which were very close to the beach) but I don't see any mention of them on their website. Nosara is a great spot.
It is nothing like Tamarindo. You cannot walk around to shop and check out restaurants because things in Nosara are very spread out on long dusty roads. You really need a car to appreciate this whole area and you will find some of the best dining in Guanacaste.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

thank you - yes i did see a picture of the bungalow and it appeared to be close to the sand. It seems like there is a large expanse of beach in Nosara - anyways if someone has been there and can help me i would appreciate it. thanks so much!
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM

The Gilded Iguana has gotten good reviews. I'm going to Nosara next month and I asked the same questiuon on another travel board and got these responces

" We stayed there last December and can't say enough good things, the place was perfect for us. We got an executive deluxe room with air. These are newer rooms in a separate wing along the side of the property. They may have 15 rooms total, very good size for my taste. About three or four rooms are located above the restaurant, they may be noisy, though less expensive, but the place is never that crowded or loud.

The pool is nice, and the open air restaurant is a friendly gathering place with fresh coffee out first thing. On Tues. nights they have live music, bluegrass and whoever shows up. The food is reasonably price, delicious and a good bargain, not dirt cheap, but affordable.

The path/road to the beach is directly in front, so they are one of the better situated hotels since nothing is built on the beach there. Next door is a small operation, Jungle Joe, for tours/kayak rentals, and two girls that give surf lessons and rent boards.

The owner, Patty Doe, is an expat American, who is very nice. She'll make reservations by e mail and hold the room with a credit card number, no charges, just promise you'll show. We paid cash to the guy in the bar, Carlos, when we got there and 7 days was $349.00US. We were there the 2nd week of Dec., so had low season rates, but just out of the rainy season. It was perfect.

The surfing was so good my husband took his surf buddies back in March. The waves are friendly, medium, long flat water in between, so they are good for swimmers to enjoy as well. The beaches are long and almost empty, so no crowding or competition for he spot"

"I will second that comment. My husband and I have stayed there twice. It is nicely appointed (even the cheaper rooms in the old building = really spacious, lots of fresh air), the restaurant is EXCELLENT... still thinking about those grouper dinners, 2 min walk to Guiones Beach. Many ex-pats hang out there & the owners are wonderful. I personally found Nosara to be a bit stuffy but felt right at home at the Gilded Iguana."
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses. The Harmony Hotel never responded and Patti at the Gilded Iguana responded immediately so the Gilded Iguana it is I believe she gave us an executive group room #11. I am very excited to be able to see a part of Costa Rica that is pretty much untouched. Thanks - any other restaurant recomendations in the area?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Hi flycatcher,
We love Nosara. When are you going? From the Gilded Iguana you can walk to restaurants and a little convenient store, etc. We like La Luna and la Dolce Vita (restaurants.) The latter is outside of town going towards Garza. You will need a car for getting around at night because it is very, very dark there. If there is turtle nesting going on at Ostional that is something the kids might like.I forgot to mention Giardino Tropical has pizza that is pretty good for Costa Rica.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you we are going in March, 2007. Can you tell me about how far it is to the beach? I understand othing can be built directly on the sand - do you remember room 11? Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hi,
We did not stay at the Gilded Iguana but twice at Casita Romantica and once at Villa Mango where we are scheduled to return this Xmas. We ate at Gilded Iguana. It seems like it was maybe the equivalent of 1 block to the beach. If you go to www.nosaratravel.com you are click on a map of Nosara which will give you an idea of where things are.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Hi!
I wrote the review quoted earlier, wow, published and quoted!

I think room 11 is on the far end of the new rooms wing that runs along the side of property. If it's the group room, I think that's it.

That would be furthest from the bar/restaurant yet still close, less than 50 yards for sure. We left and went straight to sleep around 9:30 the one night it was rocking,packed, and we heard went real late (the bartender took someone home around 4am and met us to lead us to Garza for a fishing trip at 6am).

We ate at Giardino Tropical-very good. Marlin Bills, on the main road, back by Coconut Harry's shop had great seafood dinners-owned by a fellow from Virginia Beach.

LaGarta Lodge (other directio), had a great breakfast with a view. We ate there after an early morning hike of the garden/reserve. That can be done in 2 hours at a leisurely pace. They give youa map and numerical reference to labelled trees-also saw some up close monkeys. Go early, we were there at 6am, and didn't take a guide-not needed and no way to get lost.

Glad you chose Gilded Iguana. Oh, the walk to the beach is 5 mintes straight ahead and level, maybe 250-500 yards. Great empty beach. We're going back in Dec., enjoy!
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Hello there,

My family will be staying at the Gilded Iguana Dec 24 & Dec 25th. We will be staying in Rm #2. Patty said upstairs.
Does anyone know if Rm 2 is above the restaurant?
Old Oct 9th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Room 2 at Gilded Iguana is not above the restaurant. It's in a seperate building. I stayed in room 1 there in August and got to see room 2. It's large with a double and and single bed and a large bathroom. All the romms there have a refrigerator and coffee makers in the rooms
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 04:39 PM

So glad that this place has had others with a good experience. We're going back soon and can't wait.

The Tues. night music couldn't be heard at all from our room. We were over in the newer wing.

We will probably split our trip there with part of a week in Carillo or San Miguel. I love it there but want to see more too.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 01:16 PM

I think the Harmony is the best place in Nosara right now. It is totally remodelled and has a great restaurant and spa. The hotel is as close to the beach as can be. I don't think any other hotel is closer in Nosara. And yes, Nosara is right now like Tamarindo was before. Go there before it is too late.