Malpais/Santa Teresa Lodging Options

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- Looking for some lodging recommendations in the Malpais/Santa Teresa area in early May. We are on a pretty tight budget ($100 or under per night), would like to be on the beach (near a good surf break), and if possible (but least important since we will have a car) near "town" or within walking distance to restaurants, shops, etc. Tropico Latino seems to get high marks from others on this board, though the cheapest rooms are about $85/night and that's for no ocean view. What are the garden rooms like? Luz de Vida seems to be on the beach, near Tropico, is it nice? Seems to have fairly comparable rates to Tropico Latino. Any other suggestions or comments? THANK YOU!!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM

id stay at the surf camp.
spend the cash you save on meals, theres some GREAT restaurants there:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/mal_pa...ais/index.html
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM

The one beachfront bungalow was $90 when we stayed 3 years ago. It was great--splurge on it if you can. The other (garden)rooms looked just fine--not on the beach, but not far either. No view. They face each other in a row with the sidewalk in between (the walk coming toward the reception and beach area from the parking which is by the main road through town).
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:52 AM

Ive just written a piece about our trip to Costa Rica and see you want to know about hotels in Mal Pais, we stayed in Hotel Moana Lodge. New, young, fresh owners, they know what theyre doing and are very friendly. Aiden is Irish and his partner Vicky is a Costa Rican and so were all the staff so it was nice to feel welcomed and meet real locals. We went to dinner in some of the other hotels and it was usually Americans or Argentinas working in them, not my idea of Costa Rica!
The hotel was very stylish and within your price range, beautiful big tree that shades the pool. We loved it and we promised to spread the word, as the hotel deserves it!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Frenchbird-Thank you for your response. I have looked at their website and it looks wonderful. My only question is how far a walk to the beach? More specifically to one of the surfing beaches? I will definitely add it to my list.

Shillmac, Tropico sounds great too, but they only have the garden bungalow available for $120. Do you think it's worth it? It's right on the beach isn't it?

A bunch of places I have contacted are already sold out. I'm just surprised that early May in Malpais is so booked and relatively expensive. We've stayed in Playa Grande, Nosara and even Manuel Antonio in May and it isn't usually that crowded or pricey. Even the surf camp villas are $95/nt. Other places I have on my list (near surf, $100 or under) is The Place, Hotel Esencia, El Rey Patricio, Ranchos Itauna, Oasis, Hotel Casa Azul, and now Moana. If anyone has any opinions on any of these I'd appreciate it. We would like someplace quiet (not too rowdy or loud at night), walk to surfing, not TOO expensive.

One other question, do we need A/C in early May in Malpais area?
Thanks again everyone.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM

We rented a beach house in Mal Pais in late April in 2005 and it was difficult for me to sleep w/o AC. I tend to run on the hot side to begin with so A/C and sleeping go hand in hand in CR with me. Been to Osa Peninsula, Manuel Antonio, Mal Pais/St. Teresa and the latter is our favorite. We work hard and don't get to vacation much so we will be at Flor Blanca in St. Teresa for a bit in May just to chill but I like the Surf Camp suggestion. The pool is awesome, the people very laid back and the Wed. surf party well..... suspiciously FUN!!!!! Enjoy
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Hi Ardie,
Moana is across form a beach, but the beach there is for more experienced surfers with a strong left break.
Aiden told us of a secret beach which nobody seems to use, and it was beautiful, white sand and clear water, about 10 min walk from the hotel, simply paradise.
We also took surf lessons while we we´re there. That was in the other direction about a 3min drive or 15min walk to Playa Carmen.
I hope i was of help, ciao.
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Ardie, the garden suite at Tropico Latino would be okay. You don't have a beach/ocean view, but it is just steps away. Nice location, my opinion--very convenient to the town.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:40 AM

I thought the Luz de Vida grounds an pool were nice. Didn't see the rooms, but its right next to Trop Latino and right in front of a great break.