Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What would be your dream itinerary for Chile/Argentina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a trip to Chile/Argentina and maybe Brazil for Jan-Feb 2008. We plan to spend 3 weeks and are completely lost. It seems there is so much to see and do. If you had a dream itinerary what would it be?

We are looking into Patagonia (but what are must do's--the area is huge?), Iguazu Falls...

Also, we would like to do the trip with driving ourselves. Is this reasonable? Also, we prefer to "wing-it". Do we need advance reservations for hotels?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

Lisa
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM

I would fly into BsAs and out of Santiago.
Iguazu is worth an overnight or two and a full day at the AR falls.
We refused to face the $100.US pp Brazil visa.
We rented a car in Santiago and drove to the Colchagua Valley/Hacienda Los Lingues, but otherwise the distances are really huge and not worth the effort - fly.
You may click on my "name" here or on the www.tripadvisor.com forums for more "biased" opinions.
I would stay a month next time.
In Jan - Feb, you will def need reservations.
Can't help with Patagonia, but the Bariloche/Puerto Montt Lake district and especially Colonia, Uruguay were underwheming.
M (SMdA, Gto.)

Old Mar 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM

My dream trip would include Explora Lodge in Patagonia....maybe if I win the lottery..... If I were to return to Bariloche I would definitely stay at Hotel Aldebaran again. I loved it!
Enjoy yourself.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Thanks guys. This is helping. Does it seem like too much if we were to spend something like 10 days in the Patagonia area, 2 nights in Iguazu Falls, 4 nights in Peru (to see Maccu Picchu) and then ending with 5 nights in Costa Rica? I know it's alot of moving around, but we are used to doing that on our trips. Or is there that much to see to spend the entire 3 weeks in Argentina/Chile. We are not big fans of larger cities. We live by Chicago.

Thanks again
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Our first trip to AR was 17 days and was our "dream" itinerary.

We were in BA the first 2 days, then Iguazu for 2 nights (plenty of time), then flew all the way down to Ushuaia for 3 nights (full day of flying). Then flew from Ushuaia to Punta Arenas (Chile), a guide picked us up, spent 2 nights in Puerta Natalas with a full day in the Torres del Paine (one of the major highlights of our tip). Then we went back to Punta Arenas and flew up to Puerta Montt, spent one night, then the next day did the lake crossing (another major highlight) to Bariloche, AR, spent 3 nights in Bariloche, then back to BA for some final sightseeing and shopping. It was a fabulous trip!

Last year we did the NW from Jujuy - Mendoza, then Carmelo, Uruguay for a few nights at the end. There is so much to see and do in AR, 3 weeks would go by fast.

We used a local BA travel agent for both trips. She did an amazing job, everything went smoothly, from flights - guides - hotels, highly recommend as it's also nice to know you have someone local to call if things go astray.

Also, I would not wing it in Jan-Feb as it's the summer there and high travel season. And, I am a "wing-it" kind of person!

Whatever you do, you'll love it.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:15 AM

Lisa, you will get some great advice here. You should also check the forum on TripAdvisor as the Argentina board is very active. I would not try to add Peru and Costa Rica to the same trip. Give Argentina/Chile your entire three weeks. One point, I was in your situation about a year ago when I tried to plan my itinerary. My first real roadbump came when I found many flights in Argentina required a return to Buenos Aires. Since I am not crazy about spending my vacation time in an airport, I decided to cut my number of places to visit down quite a bit and spend more time in each exploring. Driving outside of Buenos Aires was not particularly difficult (in Buenos Aires I would NEVER even think of driving) and there is much to explore.
I also made the decision to use a travel agent. I am so glad I did. The one I used (there are a number recommended here) was Cintia Stella of WOW! Argentina. She was a great help to me in planning and decision making. She charged $100 to provide advice and assistance, but deducted that amount from my costs when I booked. I am sure she does that to keep people from using her time and services without compensation and I had no problem with the practice. Other people do. I rarely use a travel agent; but, she was a great help to me.
Buen viaje.