Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Guanacaste area 4 nights - what part? Looking for acitivities (tours), nice beach & accomm., not rustic or remote

Search

Guanacaste area 4 nights - what part? Looking for acitivities (tours), nice beach & accomm., not rustic or remote

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Looking at the annual precipitation map (a posting down further on this site), it's obvious we need to spend 3 or 4 nights in the Guanacaste area. Now, what part? As you may know (from all my postings), I'll be traveling with my 79 year old mom. She loves all things 'touristy' while I prefer quaint and quiet. She likes to take bus tours. I like to lounge by the pool. She wants to experience local dancers and a show at night. I like to go to bed early.
Seems to me, many people go to Costa Rica to seek out remote destinations - the more primitive, the better. Traveling with my mom, we need to be close to amenities. Personally, I'm thinking Tamarindo may be too built up for me, but my mom might love it. Any other places in the drier region that would offer what I'm looking for? Suggestions? Comments?
Thanks so much!
Carrie
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:24 AM

I sure hate to mention all-inclusives (a dirty word to many people and for sure not the best way to enjoy Costa Rica!) but it might provide your mom with a nice experience--shows at night, then a day tour to the Rincon de la Vieja, a great area to explore and enjoy horseback, mud baths, ziplines, etc. This was how we got introduced to Costa Rica (package deal) and we've been hooked on all things Costariccense ever since.

You could better compromise with a stay at Playa Hermosa. El Velero on the beach has a good rep and there's another place (not on the beach) that has been mentioned recently on Fodors--Villas something. . . .you can do a search.

You wouldn't have the shows, but you would still have your more quaint and quiet experience and you could still do a tour, which you both would love, of the Rincon de la Vieja area north of Liberia.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:07 AM

I believe Shillmac is referring to
Villa del Sueno.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion about all-inclusives. I checked into Paradisus. Sounds like that's the nicest one, but it's $600/night. OUCH! Any other suggestions for an all-inclusive that would be geared more for adults than kids. We're not into loud music by the pool; and the drinking scene. My experience with all-inclusives is just that. But perhaps a nice one exists somewhere in Costa Rica?
Thanks so much!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:23 PM

Yes, Joeschmoe, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks!

Although the AI's may have children and teenagers hanging out by the pool, we've never seen bad behavior or felt as if anyone was interfering with our idea of a good time (much like yours). Paradisus is just very upscale, the rooms are nicer, the food a bit better, the evening shows usually outstanding with fantastic dancers. If you didn't stay there first, you probably would think the others just fine! You know how that goes. . .!

You might be able to find a deal somewhere online--hopefully someone else who has done that will know more about it. We've never stayed there during high season (except March two years ago when my daughter and I were able to snag a room for $89 bucks each, all inclusive). They are way too busy now to negotiate prices--they stay booked almost all the time. Sometimes when we are in the area, we'll just go in for the evening--meal, drinks, show.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's a tough one. As for the money, look at it this way. . .100 years from now. . . I know, I know, that's probably very bad advice!