Ritz Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ritz Cancun

For those that have stayed here:
Is swimming in the ocean safe here?
Are the views from the club level rooms good? I understand they are oceanview as opposed to oceanfront. Big difference with that?
Also wondering about the balconies. We like to sit and read on them and enjoy the oceanview from there. Are they ample?
We're planning a family trip with 3 kids, 2 grown but single and early 20's and thought this place might have enough action for them and yet be relaxing for husband. There seems to be other luxury resorts in Cancun also and I'm wondering if one of those now surpasses the ritz for luxury.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM

I can't imagine anything surpassing the Ritz for luxury in Cancun. Next in line would be the Meridien and the JW Marriott, both nearby. The water can sometimes be rough, but lifeguards post warning flags and watch carefully. The beaches are beautiful as are the pools. I don't know about the balconies.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:27 AM

The safety of the ocean depends on your luck. One year I was there, the ocean was lovely and gentle, the next year at the same time it was too rough for me to swim in (I'm an average swimmer), but my teenage son and husband loved it...
I have heard the balconies at the JW are bigger, but the Ritz is probably the "ritziest" in Cancun. If you like very modern, the F.A. Aqua looks very impressive, though the reviews are mixed.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Hi!
My husband and I stayed at both the Ritz and JW lsat Oct. We stayed in the regular oceanview room at Ritz and it was good for two people to sit, but had a high wall/railing that somewhat obstructed the view. Some of these rooms looked like they had poor side views due the the double U shape. The ocean does have waves, but the flags let you know what you should get into as long as you know yourself how good of a swimmer you are. I swam competively for 15 years and found the waves fun for the challenge, but would be concerned when the yellow/reds go up for weak or even average swimmers. Just know your limits and use the pools when the ocean isn't right for you.

The Ritz was nice and luxe, but REAL quite. My husband was there for a conference, so we knew a lot of his co-workers and it was still a little sleepy. The JW, IMO, has better pools and a little livlier attitude. We're in our early-mid twenties and liked the JW better for us. I posted on tripadvisor both under JW and Ritz in Oct. 2004. I think your kids would like the JW better and we thought it was really nice/new/romantic! But the Ritz is probably still the most straight up luxe/service.