Retiro - Recoleta neighborhood.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time visitors to Buenos Aires, staying at an apartment two blocks from Plaza San Martin. May we have some personal recommendations for restaurants, cafes, bakeries? Any special attractions nearby? Museums and architectural gems? If I see an elegant blonde lady being led by a large poodle should I say hello to her?
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 12:35 AM

There are several architectural gems representing different architectural styles fronting Plaza San Martin. The most notable:

Edificio KavanaghEl Centro)
The Kavanagh Building was built in the 1930s as an apartment building with neorationalist and art deco styles. Originally this was the tallest high-rise in South America, with 31 floors.

The Plaza Marriott Hotel (see the front desk about a free guided tour...I think they offer tours on Thursday). The first 5 star hotel in Buenos Aires....the hotel has an interesting history that is tied to expansion and development of the country itself.

The Big Ben Tower across the street from Plaza San Martin was a gift from England to Argentina...the Malvinas (Falkland) war memorial, fought between England/Argentina) overlooks the tower.

Several of the mansions fronting the square are now government buildings.

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 12:40 AM

I forgot to mention the memorial park at the site of the former Embassy of Israel, which was destroyed by a bomb planted by Hezbollah in the early 1990s. The location is Suipacha and Arroyo, if memory serves (and sometimes my memory does not serve so well these days).
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 03:17 AM

We like to start our walk around Quintana in Recoleta, the cross over La Recova and walk down Arroyo .. I think that is exactly right dr dawggy. I love taking this walk on a Sunday when everything is closed, there is no traffic and you hardly even see any people walking around.. it is a great walk!
Treesa, everyone is so friendly here , I am sure everyone will be happy if you say hello to them
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM

Hi Treesa - I'll add to drdawggy's (love the name) suggestions. There are 2 other architectural gems in Plaza San Martin you should see. 1. The Palacio Paz is a must see and offers guided visits in English on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Some pics here http://www.circulomilitar.org/web2/sede.htm . 2. The Palacio San Martin is now the foreign relations ministry and offers a guided visit on Mon & Wed 2:30 pm.
Best 2 museums: MALBA (Salguero and Alcorta intersection)for modern art & Museo Nacional Bellas Artes in Recoleta for fine arts. If you go to the MALBA, make sure to walk some of the quiet streets behind it for a taste of the hidden little neighborhoods in BA. Have fun!