Search

renting a car in mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
renting a car in mexico

My wife and I will be in Cabo San Jose for 6 days this spring and want to rent a car to drive to to La Paz. Two questions:

1) I've noticed some savings renting from smaller, local? companies. Are they reliable? I'd hate to get down there and find out they lost my reservation. Anyone have any experience one way or the other?

2) Is it safe to drive from Cabo to La Paz during the day? I use to hear horror stories about the dangers of driving in Mexico but would like to do some exploring if possible.

Thanks for the advice!

Bob
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never rented a car myself but have been to La Paz, and am going to Cabo San Lucas next week.

I have never heard of any safety issues about driving in that area.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I have rented a car in Mexico - although not in that area.

A couple caveats - be sure to research your insurance coverage. In Mexico - if there is an accident, regardless of whose fault it is, if you do not have the proper insurance, you can be held by authorities. Your American policy is probably not enough.

Another piece of advice - inspect carefully the car you will be renting before you drive off. Be sure the lights and signals are working properly, as well as any other mechanical parts, including the A/C, gears, door locks, etc. Even with respected counterparts to the car rental agencies in the USA, you may find problems.

Get everything in writing BEFORE you drive off. We have had experiences with Mexican car rentals that were pretty awful when we returned the cars. Many times, upon return you may be on a time schedule - a flight to catch - and all of a sudden the rental price has changed. With no time to argue, you can get caught with unexpected charges. Give yourself a little extra time.

Also - no matter what anyone tells you - DO NOT DRIVE after dark in Mexico.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and have a great time in Cabo next week Suze!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

Check the rental car's tires and spare. I was given a car with steel belts showing through the tread. A blowout could have easily killed us.

There used to be a police scam in LaPaz, where a cop would pull you over for some "infraction" and ask you pay a fine on the spot, as the judge was closed. I suggest you bring a spare "wallet" with a small amount of cash - maybe $20, and some of those throwaway membership cards that would look like credit cards in a wallet. If you open a real wallet full of cash, the "fine" will climb astronomically.

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM

We go to Cabo every year and use rentals. However, we make our reservations on line at National Web site for "Mexico" and always make a copy of it and bring it with us. The web site is http://wwwnationalcar.com.mx/index.php?ref=WWW
We also get all the insurance they offer - most American Insurance do not cover car that you rent in Mexico. We drive in Cabo and San Jose Del Cabo at night. We would not drive to Lapaz at night. Too many animals on the roads.
any other questions - just ask.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous vacation in the Yucatan. We flew into Cacun and rented a car.
We did go with a well known name, Budget. They met us at the airport and tok us to their office. We did get the insurance. It cost more than the rental, but if you get into an accident without it you may end up in jail. We drove from Cancun to Valladolid and then on to Merida and Progresso. It was great! Just obey the traffic signs and you should be alright. We even came back to Cancun traveling thru all the small towns, speed bumps and all. It was a wonderful experience. Be sure to check out the car and make sure everything works. The drivers are good, somewhat agressive with speed and passing. But it is the best way to see the sights and enjoy the whole experience. My husband says, do not hesitate to rent a car, we will do it again.