Search

baja

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baja

for a couple of australians interested in visiting california and possibly mexico, i hav a few q's. is baja in U.S. or mexico. i realise this may seem a stupid question but our atlas shows it as mexico.is it easy to travel down california coast into bja. any tips on great places to stay, visit, surf and rental car tips. thanks heaps for any help, happy A.N.Z.A.C. day to any aussies or kiwis. lest we forget.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Baja is in Mexico.

The official Mexican names of the two states which make up the peninsula are "Baja California Norte" and "Baja California Sur" is probably what confused you!
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hello macdog, one big rental car tip, most rental car companies in the US do not allow you to take their rental cars into Mexico. When you do drive in Mexico be it a rental car or your own car (which would not be the case in your situation I am sure) you absolutely have to buy Mexican car insurance. If you do not and if you have even the smallest of fenderbenders you could end up in a Mexican jail if you do not have auto insurance purchased through an insurance company authorized to write auto insurance in Mexico.

Fodorites have suggested the best thing to do is to turn in their US rental car in the US, cross the border and rent a rental car in Mexico, and of course purchased the Mexican auto insurance.

I believe the laws in Mexico are such that you are considered guilty until you can prove yourself innocent versus the laws in the US that you are considered innocent until proven guilty. I believe the laws in Mexico are described as a Napoleanic law..guilty until proved innocent.

So do make sure that you know and follow any laws of Mexico..you do not want to find yourself in a Mexican jail!

I believe A.N.Z.A.C. refers to Australians and Kiwi's that lost their lives in World Wars? My father's cousin did (he was an Aussie) during WWI in Europe..France I believe. I wish I had more information.

Best wishes to you and may you have a safe and happy journey while in North
America.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the reply (I will be travelling with Mac Dog) .... it looks like having a car in mexico will be DODGY - we may have to look at alternative transport! We might decide to devote our time to the US only. Would 3/4 weeks be a good amount of time to drive from San Fran to San Diego??? Looking at stopping at some great places on the way through to surf / sightsee ..... any suggestions on places to visit.

It looks like your grandfather would have fought in the Battle of the Somme in France - Anzac Day is to commemorate all fallen soldiers - its a wonderful day here in Australia.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 09:58 PM

that will be plenty of time to enjoy San Diego to San Francisco. You will find many helpful threads full of ideas of sights and beaches and restaurants, and even which route to take, in the Fodor archives.

Baja is very interesting and it is easy to fly there from California. It is not lush. It is a desert and a Peninsula surrounded by the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez, which is fantastic for deep sea fishing and wonderful beaches.

I'm not sure that it is worth the effort on the vacation you are planning. I adore it, but I have to admit that it is a peculiar beauty and not particularly easy to navigate.

It is a foreign culture, though, and that might be a nice experience for you.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's plenty of time. Direct driving is only 12 hours or so San Francisco to San Diego. You'll have loads of time for detours, seeing the parks, scenic towns, natural beauty, etc.

That said, if you really want to go to Mexico, I'd fly somewhere for a week of your time. LA to La Paz (on the Baja) or Puerto Vallarta (further down and on the mainland) would both be great. You don't need a car after arrival.