Race Relations

Apr 9th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Dav
Original Poster

Race Relations

Ok, i think i have a request that will make you put your thinking caps on. a group of coworkers have heard about my travels to brazil and seen my photos, needless to say they are now interested in traveling there themselves. here is the kicker, they are three african american men and one afro cuban 25-31 years old. they have asked me to explain to them how they would be perceived/welcomed/accepted and viewed during travels through some of the more tourist prominent areas of brazil (museums, clubs, hotels, restaurants). well being that i am not african american i have explained to the best of my ability stating some of the most obvious and general situations one will witness regarding race in brazil, basically the excerpt from the guide book. truth be told i really did not have much interaction with "african brazilians" in the ipanema/ rio areas and did not meet any african americans traveling in brazil, so my advice has been fairly limited. although i wholeheartedly encourage them to make the trip i may be overlooking potentially uncomfortable situations. anyone who can assist in this matter feel free to write us a candid response....
Apr 9th, 2003, 04:05 PM

Dav, goood question and I am sure my answer may not be the whole and complete answer to your needs but I will say what I know about the subject. First of all I have been going to Rio since 1980 and in recent years since 1997 that is I have noticed an increase in Afro Americans. I speak to them I drink with them I swap stories with them like I would any other American, to me no difference. Actually if in the US there are any race barriers in Rio there doesn't seem to be any and I don't think there are any in the US either, to me everybody is the same. But I do see the same guys from year to year and everything is cool. They like the girls and the girls like them, just like a white gringo like me. Everybody is beautifull and everybody is having fun, thats it totally in a nutshell. Tell your buddies to go and have the best time in their life.
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Dav
Original Poster

Thanks Don!
May 15th, 2003, 05:11 PM

t
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Don is right.

But if you travel as a mixed race couple you can confuse some Brazilians. If you are a black woman with a gringo husband some will assume you are a prostitute. If you are black man with a gringo woman some will think you have gotten lucky and married a wealthy white woman. Or they may think you are a male prostitute.

It is no big deal and should not be a concern. People who make the mistake will normally be most apologetic when informed.
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:19 PM

Punanni, what if your a gringo man with a white Brazilian woman from the south with blond hair (loira), what can you be confused of?

Also I read some of your posts from today, boy were you on a tear, having fun.