Kavey

Nov 5th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Kavey

I moved this from Rogers thread as I wanted to inquire further. The whole thing sounds dreadful, but as we age those kind of marks and scars don't bother us near as much. I guess we give up our vanity bit by bit and its surprising to find folks actually like us better marked up. Don't know why. Okay, OIALT in November? I thought your biggie was in December or January. When we went we went in January. I thought November was too early for the Penguins. Wishing you everything you hope for. Since the Scotts are there, I know you will be thrilled and rightfully so. Just be careful if you have to go on the Zodiac, it can be awkward getting in and out of one. I am guessing that this is the trip you were referring to. Liz
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Kavey, my husband had a similar thing happen. Never had a cavity in his mouth and then a cow kicked a gate that hit him in the mouth. Knocked out the top two front teeth and loosened the two beside them and the bottom four. The loose ones healed but he had to have the root canals done on the two that fell out. What a mess. Later a sports dentist told him they should have done the root canals while the teeth were out but his dentist didn't think of that. The teeth and lip have healed now but it took a long time.

When is you trip? Soon? Have a great time.
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Aaw it's so nice to have friends ask after me - it's like a big soft hug!

We're leaving on 21st Nov so trip is almost upon us... Can't wait!

Liz, I grew out of the whole vanity thing very early on - at about 21 I think! So I'm not really bothered about scars - I do think it's funny that my new skin is pink not brown - but it doesn't bother me.

I love this poem:
THE PURPLE HAT
(Beautiful Women)

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Queen.
Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.
Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly Sister (Mom, I can't go to school looking like this!)
Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"- but decides she's going out anyway.
Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.
Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly"-but says, "At least, I am 'clean"and goes out anyway.
Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.
Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.
Age 70: She looks at herself & sees wisdom, laughter and ability, goes out and enjoys life.
Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

I very seldom look in the mirror and I own a number of purple hats (and clothes that my friends think I'm "brave" to wear in public) and I just go out and don't worry what other people think. Much more fun!
Nov 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
sandi

Kavey - if only young women would read this when they reach their teens*. But then, of course, they wouldn't comprehend its meaning. Only as the years pass do we appreciate and understand! Inspiring!

...and all of a sudden I was on the floor! How did I get there? I had just walked thru the entry door of a small neighborhood restaurant standing tall and next I knew, I was on the floor. My partner looked at me and exclaimed "what are you doing down there?" It happened so quickly, he didn't even see me go down and I was speechless. The owner came running over to see that I was okay or needed help or medical care (and to assure herself I wouldn't sue, lol), but I seemed fine. Got up, brushed myself off and sat down for dinner.

While eating I had this strange feeling in my right leg and somehow knew it was flowing blood. Rather then interrupt dinner, we finished and walked home. Once home, I immediately removed my jeans (they were new) and sure enough there was blood running from a gash in my lower leg and the inside of the jean leg was full of blood. I must have been in shock as I first washed the jean leg in cold water before attending to myself. Then all I did was clean the gash (I could actually see the bone) apply some ointment, gauze pad and tape. And I was fine. Two weeks later, at my doctor for my annual checkup, she inquired about the wound which I showed to her. She was aghast, asking why I didn't have the hospital (located a few steps from my apartment) stitch it? I just never thought to do so - and it eventually healed on its own within a few weeks.

Up until this episode, I had actually gotten thru the years of my life with not a scratch and here I was with this gash which I was sure would leave a nasty scar. So what? Now, five years later, I can't even find a mark where the scar would be. And if I could, so what? So what, if I had been half my years, I would have been a basketcase.

I'm sure your pink skin will fade in time and you won't be able to find the damage to your lip. If not, so what - purple hats have a way of doing that for us.

*these profound words are going to a few friends who have teenage daughters.

Nov 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Sandi, how awful - must have been the adrenaline that saw you through it!

A few passers by asked if I wanted an ambulance but I knew I didn't need one - I only really realised HOW MUCH it hurt when I was sitting in the hospital waiting room...

Truly, I'm not worried much about the scars. I am pleased I'll be able to get a crown to replace the missing half of the tooth though even that, if it wasn't possible, wouldn't bother me too much!
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Kavey,
Where are you going...didn't you just get back!!!?!

We were in Brazil and Argentina in August and I'm leaving next week for a 7 week trip that takes in family in England and Ireland and a month in India.

All of my friends constantly complain that we're always away and say they can't keep up with out trips...I think next time they start harasssing me I'm going to cite you and your husband as people who may travel even more than we do!

Have a geat trip!
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I stayed single and held on to my vanity after I got older, fearing that I would die alone. Then I met my dear Max and he loves me anyway, so goodbye vanity, Max loves me anyway. I just held on longer than some who had someone.
Thanks for the "Purple Hat". Here now a lot of cities have the "Red Hatters" and even here in our small community is a group. All from the "When I get old, I'm going to wear something purple, etc......."
Good friends, thanks. Sandi, that is horrible. Isn't is shocking what we find out from people we kind of think we know.
Kavey-Your fall still gives me chills. But about your trip, Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! We'll be thinking of you and let us know when you get back.
Its nice to have a thread that's just about us and others can just click through or share a bit of themselves. We're passing out big hugs today. Cheers!
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Forgot to tell you other news from today! A friend (who I met on the Kenya Festival of Wildlife trip) emailed me a couple of days ago saying she'd posted me something - a surprise and to phone her once I'd got it.

Today in the post I got a clipping from a magazine about The Conservation Ball - a posh event raising funds for protecting India's endangered wildlife. Virginia McKenna will be there amongst other interesting people. Well, my friend had been given two tickets by her boss (who knew of her interest in wildlife conservation and also does accounts for one of the organisers and was offered the tickets because of that). They are usually £100 per person. My friend asked me to go with her! So think of me, all dolled up and enjoying myself on the 13th!
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Strange - last two posts only showed up AFTER I posted my last one!

Yes I did just get back from France but... it's been a packed year. The France trip wasn't planned for this year - it was booked last year but didn't work out and they held a place for us until this year. The Kenya trip with my dad was also a last minute thing. The only ones we actually planned were the big Africa trip and a one week cheapy in the UK with a huge group of friends. And the next one is a gift and it's to the Antarctic!!!
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:14 PM

Well travelled - will you be in London?
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Ohhhh, Antarctica..after Africa in 2005, that is my next big adventure trip.
Are you going on one of the icebreaker expedition type trips ?? Can't wait to hear more...
I hope you'll be doing another wonderful detailed trip report.

Happy Travels,
Brenda
Nov 5th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Brenda, here are the trip details:
http://www.peregrine.net.au/antarcti...ls.asp?id=1177
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Kavey,
I'll be in England between Nov 12-Nov24 with four days in Dublin in the middle.

I'll mainly be down in Kent visiting my mother but I'm certainly hoping to make it up to London though I'm not sure if I can be bothered to brave the crowds for the Raphael exhibit!

Hope you have a great time in Antartica!
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:11 PM

If you make any plans to come to London and would like to meet for lunch or dinner, drop me an email and we'll see if there's a date that works for us both?
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Sounds good!

Search this Thread