Search

What about mens attire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about mens attire

I have picked out conservative capris and shirts for myself - What about Men? - Are Shorts and Teeshirts accepted for men without offense? He doesn't own one pair of capris? ;-)
Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM
sandi

No capris! Guess we don't have a "fashionista" among us! Maybe he can roll up a pair of light weight pants as if he were walking along the beach - there's certainly enough sand around. LOL!

That aside, you'll see men wearing long walking shorts with t-shirts or short sleeve shorts during the day while visiting sites - Pyramids, Luxor & Karnak Temples, Valley of Kings & Queens, Edfu, Esna, Philae Island and Abu Simbel, as well as while cruising on the Nile. That said, there are just as many men who wear long pants, leight weight, of course.

While sightseeing in Cairo - Museum, Bazaar, Old & Coptic, and other areas, long pants are a better option, as it would be for women. And in the evenings, because the temps cool down, long pants are best.

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi! Questions, Questions...wont you be glad when we finally go on this trip? ;-)
Leaving in two weeks...wont be long now!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Someone told us that males wearing shorts was viewed as the same thing as walking around in your underwear - we never saw an Egyptian male in shorts, no matter how hot it was. That said, plenty of tourists wore long shorts, especially "cargo" type - not shorter gym shorts.

(When my teenage son wears his cargo shorts so low on his hips that his boxers show, they could be alsmost long enough to qualify as "capris" - does that count?)
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Around Cairo, it's best if men wear long pants. Shorts are rather frowned upon. But if you're going to do a Nile cruise, then he can wear shorts on the boat and when touring the sites.
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Get a pair, or two, of the new lightweight convertible pants that you see at outdoor shops such as REI, Columbia, etc. (in US). I no longer travel with regular pants, and have reduced my shorts count considerably. Not Armani, but who cares...

You will have no problems wearing shorts in the usual tourist areas, but if you do go off the beaten path or to a church or mosque, you will definitely want pants. Some conservative places will even require a long-sleeved shirt.

Have a great trip - Egypt is like no other.

Regards, Bruce
Egypt Travel Photos -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...level2_all.htm