Overland Iran to Pakistan

Nov 6th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Overland Iran to Pakistan

Would really like to hear from anyone who has recently gone overland Iran to Pakistan. What transport options are there, would they recommend the trip or suggest flting that sector.
Nov 6th, 2004, 06:20 AM

My hunch is that you will get better responses if you post this on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum.
Nov 6th, 2004, 01:21 PM

McGow,
I agree with thit-cho that you may have difficulty getting info on an overland trip here.

I visited Iran in the Summer of 2003 and had a wonderful time...there were very few tourists and we only met a couple of Dutch guys who were heading down to Pakistan in a car they had driven right across Europe.

You can easily find my Iran trip report by searching for it here we loved Iran and found everyone very welcoming...because of the language difference we found it helpful to have a guide and because of the visa restrictione (my husband is a US citizen and I'm a Brit) we had to book through a travel agency. If you have to go this route I highly recommend the agency we used...they're really wonderful people.

www.irangashttour.com

If you have any general questions on Iran don't hesitate to ask!
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I am insanely curious what there is to see/why one would go overland Iran to Pakistan.
Nov 7th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Well once upon a time there was Bam - you will remember what happened there. The far west of Pakistan has no great sights - just to visit the small towns and cross the endless plains is an experience.

I've only travelled this way on an organised tour. And I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I haven't mentioned Esfahan - wonderful, wonderful city - as I assume the OP will visit regardless of how he/she leaves Iran.
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Gail,
To satisfy your curiosity why don't you go!

I've travelled through a little of Asia, Australia, alot of Europe, some of South America, most of Central America and much of Eastern, Southern and Western Africa and Iran is one of the most interesting countries I have visited.

Bam was fascinating but so were Esfahan, Shiraz, Kerman and Yadz. The architecture is extraordinary and the tile work on the mosques is amazing. The people are very friendly and with Armenia it's one of the places I have most enjoyed visiting.
Nov 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I'll add it to the list when we are done paying college tuition!

Search this Thread