Search

Questions for Stewbear

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions for Stewbear

We followed Suze's recommendations and spent last Feb. in PV. We loved it there except for the fact that the water was too cold for snorkeling, or really much swimming. So, we are thinking of going farther south this year. We especially liked not having a car in PV and walking or taking local buses and water taxis. Is this lifestyle possible in Zihuatanejo? Is the food and water as safe as in PV (ie. use caution but not as likely to cause problems as some parts of Mexico)? I am going to contact Judith Whitehead as you suggested in another post-any recommendations on what area I should ask for to be car-free (but with a water view-I really need that)? Thanks in advance! Sue
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Lots of water views in both Zihua & Ixtapa. The Zihua Bay has many fine hotels on it including Irma, The Mexicana & what was the Las Brisas but recently changed it's name to I beleive The Aurora. It would be my first choice of any hotel.
Lots of safe clean tasty restaurants from very high end to incredibly cheap. As low a meals for about $2 US up to $200 BUT on average about $10 US will get you a great meal so somewhat cheaper than PV.
No need for a car as cabs are cheap & buses go almost everywhere. Highly recommend JR Sanchez ([email protected]) cell 755-111-8726. JR grew up in The San Francisco, ca area speaking perfect English & a great guy. He returned to Zihua his birthplace 6 years ago opening a cab company with his Dad & Brother. They also have a large Van so great for day trips. He will pick you up at the Airport entrance at about half the price of Airport taxis.
Bottle water is a must although most hotels have purified water.
Nice people, great weather & lots to do.
Feel free to ask me more.
PS a great bargain place to stay is Casa Karen at [email protected]. Not on the water but very cheap with Cable,AC, kitchenette,patio & separate bedroom. Also another fav off the water is Hotel Solimar Suites.
PS I can no longer recommend Mrs. Whitehead
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 02:14 AM

if the goal is snorkeling and swimming you want to be on the caribbean side of mexico.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stewbear, you confirmed we would really like to go to Zihua this year. Unfortunately the affordable condos with waterview (it is important to me) are booked for Feb. I did hear from the mgr. at Bay View Grand Marina in Ixtapa with 3 lovely condos at my price. But-we think we want to be in Zihua.
You have said it is really easy to get to and from the two areas so maybe we should consider Ixtapa. I'll keep looking, and thanks again.
PS. Mrs. Whitehead did not answer my email.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM

You experience with Mrs. W is unfortunately the norm now.
Yes it is but a 55 peso cab ride or a 7 peso bus ride Ixtapa to Zihua. Buses go by on the main road every 2 to 3 minutes.