Search

Questions about renting a car to drive to the Osa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about renting a car to drive to the Osa

Hi Everyone,

I am still trying to figure out our trip back down to the Osa. I am now weighing the pros and cons (and costs) of renting a car and driving down. My first concern is cost. I just read JimboTx's trip report and he said that he paid $740 for 10 days of a rental car with insurance. Is this a pretty standard price for a 4wd vehicle?

I have many more questions but thought that I better find out about the cost first since I was thinking that this would be a way that we could save some money.

Thank You!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 04:00 AM

gem not sure how much you'll be moving around but you could look into something like shuttleosa.com , they could get you from SJO to PJ and from there to different areas nearby.

Sometimes the loco fares on Nature Air are really really cheap but you have to be quick to grab those.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:11 AM

Hi!

The price depends much on the type of 4x4 you rent.

I have made good experience with Wild Rider ( www.wild-rider.com ) where I payd much less, that was for a Terios.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tully,

I like the idea of using Shuttle Osa. What would be the travel time for San Jose to Puerto Jimenz? If we wanted to stop on the way for a night, where would you suggest?

What are the loco fares (we want to go to the Loco Fairs!) and how do I find out about them?

We just found out that some friends of our might be down on the Osa when we are there and that is what 'steered' me to thinking of renting a car. It would be really nice to hope in the car and be able to go to visit them. Bus if we end up renting a house for a week that will take most of our time and money so will probably not have extra of either to toodle and tour around.

Does $740 sounds standard for ten days renting a car? I will be checking with our credit card today to see if we are covered for insurance. Any idea what a 4wd rents for with and with out all the insurance?

Thank you!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:42 AM

gem, we are renting a small SUV from Tricolor, 13 days, $450. Check with them for something larger (7 passenger).
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

sounds great!! Thank you!