car rental advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rental advice

i just found an excellent webpage with advice for car rentals in Mexico -
http://www.cancunmap.com/car_rental_tips.html
i have been researching car rentals for some time and just found it - i'm still unsure what to do however, as my credit card company assures me they fully cover the collision damage waiver in mexico and to decline it, but i am worried about trying to resolve window scratches and the like, weeks after i have left - anyone with more advice??
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM

You most show proof of full coverage if involved in a accident or you WILL be held in jail until all damages are paid for. Ask your CC for a copy of the policy so you have proof of that part of your insurance. But you will also need liability. Do you really need a car? They are very expensive when all costs including full coverage, gas & other fees. Hire a car with a driver for the day if you want to explore.
P.S. I take the bus all over Mexico with never a problem.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

yes having a car will allow us to stop and explore, take day trips etc on my schedule - i'm curious though, have you actually had this being locked up in jail thing happen to you personally, or to someone you know? it seems there's maybe some urban legend feel to some of the advice i hear, but hard to know?
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM

flagging
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM

That is a great website and they also have a checklist to print when renting a car. If you have a platinum card you do not need the extra insurance but call you card first to make sure. When going to MX I will call my card and tell them I am going if I plan on charging anything and then cancel the card when I return to negate any additional charges that I do not approve of. We always rent a car and have never had a problem but there are lots of stories out there regarding car rentals. What part of MX are you planning on visiting?
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:03 AM

I don't have first hand knowledge of motorists being locked up after an acccident. I do know that Mexico is under Nepolianic code and you are guilty until proven inocent. I do have first had knowledge of people being locked up minor offenses without benefit of hearing or court appearence. My Mexican firends tell me you go to jail in an accident if you injure someone.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the warning - yeah, i am leaning toward not taking the deductible and relying on my credit card, esp. since the woman insisted i refuse the mexican waiver! we will be going from cancun to merida to chichen itza to coba to tulum and back to cancun, so i think we'll need it
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:29 AM

See this discussion before you make a decision: http://travelnotes.cc/tchatters/viewtopic.php?t=5242

Keith
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

this thing just gets more complicated - the site just above has another link that is the u.s. gov advice to travelers and says clearly, buy the mexican liability insurance; in addition it says, that some liability may be provided by the toll roads in the price of the toll... so i guess i'll buy the mexican liability insurance, be covered by my credit card, and should something happen on the toll road, be triple-covered!! i wouldn't mind so much except that the mexican liability is so expensive per day, and i just generally feel ripped off... oh well, i'll just pop an extra cold one on the beach and try to remember why i want to go to mexico in the first place
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:15 PM

First of all, as I understand it, you will not be triple covered by more than one insurance. Your credit card coverage is void if you accept the CDW offered by the rental company. Most credit cards (you will need to check yours) will provide all the coverage you need EXCEPT third person liability coverage required in Mexico. There is an excellent explanation of this in two threads on Tripadvisor's Baja forum. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...alifornia.html.
This first link gets you to most recent post which refers you to an even longer post with good explanation and lots of research. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM

It isn't a case of "will your credit card cover it?" It is a case of "will you be held in jail until you provide proof of Mexican insurance or turn over enough cash to cover repairs?"

I wouldn't be pleased about "being correct" but spending itme in jail.

Keith
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 06:46 AM

what car rental are you using?
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Most commercial auto liability insurance (mandatory in Mexico) covers "attorney services" which is like a get out of jail free card if you draw blood in a traffic accident.
I don't think "any" CCs include that as part of their coverage, but you should def have it here.
Jail ff an injury accident is most definitely NOT an urban legend.
M