Questions about Na Balam & Playa Media Luna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have finally settled on Isla Mujeres for a family vacation. Thanks to everyone for all your imput to my previous posts, all the info was very helpful.

Now, I need some specific info on these two hotels. What would be your recomendation for my family of four (kids ages 5 & 3)? Both are available for my dates with the Media Luna having a ground level room with 2 double beds (not sure how good the ocean-view is from these rooms) and the Na Balam having a room with 2 queen size beds.

These are my concerns/questions:

Media Luna- The rooms appear to be small, will we feel too cramped? I also heard that is is very windy there. Is it too windy to hang out at the pool during the day?
I understand that the ocean there is not safe for swimming, but will the kids be able to just "play" in the waves. They love to have the waves chase them and then let the water run over their feet.

Na Balam - My only concerns about Na Balam is not being guaranteed an ocean-view room and the rooms not being as "nice" as Media Luna's rooms. Can anyone compare the rooms for me? Other than that the Na Balam seems to be perfect. The location is perfect and there will probaly be more kids there for my kids to play with.

Please share all your insights/experiences with these two hotels.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Hi Trisha.........I responded to your previous post very late yesterday afternoon with a few suggestions. I will try to answer your NaBalam/Hotel Media Luna specific questions.

I think you will find the room at Hotel Media Luna very confining for four, and on the ground floor not much of a view or privacy from other guests. I wouldn't recommend allowing your kids in the water at all on that beach.....the water is very rough. I didn't think it was too windy (blowing sand, etc) the last time we were there. Since the hotel faces east, you will lose sun by the pool by mid afternoon. We love the hotel though, and will return next month for our second visit. If you decide to stay there, I think you will find yourself heading over to Playa Norte often.

I have not stayed at NaBalam, but I think the location would be better for a family. Playa Norte by NaBalam is a beautiful quiet beach. It is convenient to have a beach bar/restaurant and beach sevice also. The waves are gentle and the water shallow enough for your children to play at the waters edge. I have read mixed reviews of the rooms, so that might be your negative point.

If Nautibeach condos have availability, that would be your best bet with young children. There should be other kids to play with and you will have beach/pool drink & food service from Sunset Grill. The beach isn't as wide there but it's only steps to a wider beach or Sergios at Playa Sol. Book with Joyce only at Nautibeach.....she represents the best condos.

I also want to let you know that there is a babysitting service now on Isla. The owner is Zina and she has licensed and trained local sitters if you should need one.

I think you will enjoy the laid back lifestyle on Isla........good choice.

Lynne
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I have stayed at both Na Balam and Media Luna, and I agree with Lynne that Nautibeach would be a much better choice with kids.

Na Balam - not many kids and more adult-oriented and very small pool.
Media Luna - very small rooms, more adult-oriented and not a good kid's beach.
Nautibeach - large pool, lots of kids, good beach.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I had actually considered the Nautibeach condos (it would be great to have a separate bedroom for the kids!), but it seemed to lack a certain "atmosphere". We would like to stay someplace that has an authentic Mexican charm about it. However, maybe the pictures I have seen of the condos don't do them justice. Also, I think that I read somewhere on these forums that the beach over by Nautibeach is more crowded and not as nice as the beach directly in front of Na Balam.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:04 PM

Both of those things are true, but if I were going with kids, I would choose Nautibeach.

Does Na Balam allow children? I have never seen even one child at Na Balam, and that is one of the reasons I go there. I've never even seen any kids on that end of the beach at all, but that may just be the time of year I've gone (April.)

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Iza

Trisha, in case you have not read them, read the reviews of Na Balam on Tripadvisor.com. At least one of them mentioned a family vacationing with young kids there and enjoying it.

When is your trip? I am strongly considering Na Balam for a week in August (along with a second week at Shangri La in PDC) so I would be very interested in your review/trip report.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Iza, I am planning in advance for the week between x-mas and new years. I thought I was planning early, but some places I had wanted are already booked (like Shangri-la in PDC). Have fun on your trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Iza

In that case you may be able to benefit from my trip report ;-)

I'll be sure to post one when we get back.