PV Restaurants--Picking The Best of the Best

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of my information is from researching posts here and on tripadvisor. Some info is from personal, although outdated, experience. I am trying to make a list of the top suggested restaurants for my parents' trip to PV.

They are in their early 60's and enjoy good food but do not necessarily require an upscale dining experience. They are not huge eaters or drinkers. Food simplicity and quality is an issue as one is diabetic. Language will not be an problem.

I've read high recommendations for:

Las Carmelitas
El Palomar de Los Gonzalez
El Arrayan
Los Xitomates
Cafe de Ollas
The Vista Grill
Vitea
Cuetos
Trios

Also on the list from a trip 10+ years ago is Bombo's and El Set.

If you were to pick 5-6 of these restaurants for dinner, what would you choose? Remember elegance and being trendy are not factors. I'd just like for them to come home thinking each dining experience was wonderful but slightly different--perhaps one night for seafood, one night for the view, one night for Mexican, etc.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cafe de Olla on Basilo Badillo is very nice, not expensive, fun atmosphere, good food. It sounds like what you describe. Evenings it can get very busy and people line up on the sidewalk waiting for tables. So I usually go there at an off time, say like 2pm for a late lunch when it is not so busy.

I would definitely add The Red Cabbage Cafe to your list. This is your Mexican night.

Trios is expensive and I would consider it an 'upscale dining experience' by PV standards. Can't comment on the food because it's a bit rich for my blood.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the Red Cabbage Cafe.

What about the "view from the hills" experience? Las Carmelitas, El Palomar de Los Gonzalez? Bombo's came to mind as it was where we had dinner on the first night of our honeymoon--although it was over 10 years ago.

Would Trios be in line with Cafe des Artistes (sp?)? I'd like to throw in the possibility of one upscale place even if they choose to stick with other places.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM

I usually travel solo and don't leave downtown(!) so have no opinion on the various places in the hills. Sorry.

Trio is an extremely pleasant looking restaurant, don't get me wrong, and I'd definitely keep it on their list. It is newer and "fresher" than Cafe de Artistes, so a better choice IMO. What did not particularly appeal to me about Trio is only that the menu, types of ingredients and preparation, prices, and dining room atmosphere looked exactly like a nice restaurant here in Seattle!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:26 PM

How about La Palapa down on Playa Los Muertos for an upscale night? Again out of my price range but gets good reviews and you sit at tables right on the sand (tiki torches, strolling mariachi bands, all that).
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM

Our favorites:

El Arrayan
Barcelona Tapas(Spanish and view)
Red Cabbage
Vitea(owned by Trio guys and I love that you can order half orders of the entrees--cheaper and not so filling!)

I have been reading mixed reviews on Cafe de Olla. We didn't go this year but thought it was just okay when we did. I would choose El Arrayan over Los Xitomates if needed.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas so far and please add anymore that you think of.

Your description of Trio was exactly the type I needed. I'd love for their restaurant experiences to always remind them of PV, not just a restaurant (even if quite nice) that could be anywhere.

The half entrees at Vitea would be appealing to them. Is that right on the beach or am I getting all the places confused now?

I'd left Barcelona Tapas off as they've already been to Spain and we have a decent Spanish restaurant nearby. That being said, it is still high on your list?
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Haven't been myself but Barcelona Tapas gets only glowing reviews from several regular posters and lovers of PV.

I have had mixed experiences at Cafe de Olla. So I wouldn't count it as a "must do" but more a nice place for lunch if you happened to be in the area. I go there mostly because I walk right past it on the way home from the beach, on the same street as my hotel.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Cafe el Repollo Rojo
The Red Cabbage Cafe
Calle Rivera Del Rio 204A
tel: 22-304-11
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Since you stated that you wanted "each dining experience being wonderful and different" as Suze pointed out and i agree, La Palapa may fit the bill. Have them request a table on the beach
( unless beach vendors really bother them, which they will show up)and enjoy a beautiful sunset and setting. Most nights they have a nice kind of jazzy group playing near the bar. Not loud or anything. Food is excellent, service good etc.
Although a bit pricy for some, it is a wonderful dining experience not to be missed( in my opinion!!). I think you can do a Google search and find the restaurant online with a sampling of their menu.Good luck!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I'll look into La Palapa...I agree that a beach "experience" would be nice.

All this makes me wish it was MY trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Here you go!

www.redcabbagecafe.com
www.lapalapapv.com
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM

note Vista Grill is included down at the bottom of the La Palapa website
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 04:12 PM

I can also recommend the Red Cabbage Cafe. On suze's recommendation we ate there last month on our one night in town. I loved my meal. The spinach salad is unlike anything I've had, it was more like a braised spinach dish. The chicken mole poblano was perfectly rich and spicy. My partner had the chile picadillos that were very tasty. He also had the cream of peanut soup, which was the best thing that either of us ordered that night. All items were flavorful and well prepared. We walked all over town that and were draggin and hungry by the time we walked up to the gate, were granted entrance and sat down. I'd eat ther again.

-Bill
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 06:36 AM

To answer your question about location of Vitea, it is on the malecon overlooking the water, not directly on water or beach. The front is totally open which gives it a wonderful cafe feeling although the food is much better than cafe fare. I really, really like Barcelona Tapas but if their time is limited, since they have experienced that type food, maybe save that for another trip?
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:34 AM

La Palapa is one of my favorites I never miss it or Vista GRille each one is wonderful one is on the beach the other high upon a hill overlooking all of P.V.Las Carmelitas I was going to try until I read in a review that a whole wedding group went there for dinner and they padded the bill and wouldn't let them leave until they paid it a very ugly experience Sure changed my mind.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Cafe Frankfurt if you are going for variety. Monday, Wednesday and Sundays they also have a buffet which is quite excellent. For a lovely lunch I love El Catedral a small long hole in the wall restaurant on Basilio Badilla which is only about 4 blocks up from the beach in Old Town.
If your folks are in old town they will find more than enough restaurants to choose from if they start from the corner of Basilio Badilla and Olas Altas. The hardest choice will be--which way to go up-- B.Badilla or up Olas Altas. Fabulous restaurants either way.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Just bringing this ttt for any last minute additions.

They leave in a few days.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.