Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for restaurants in Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for excellent dining experiences love quaint or unique places....cost isn't an issue... Anyone been to Trio's or Cafe des Artistes or La Plapa or Cafe de Olla? What did you think? or other open to other comments of suggestions on dining? We are staying in a villa in the Zona Romantica PV.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:57 AM

I see you have posted several inquiries about PV. Here is a link to a bulleting board about PV. Very much information there. Check it out...

http://pub69.ezboard.com/btodopuertovallarta

All the restaurants you mention are great. I also love Daquiri Dicks.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:57 AM

Here is another site I forgot to post:

http://vallartainfo.com/

Site administrator lives in PV and knows everything there is to know.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:30 AM

We were just in Puerto Vallarta. We were very disappointed with our meal at Cafe des Artistes. Very small portions and poor quality. My husband's filet was choice meat and my sea bass was very fishy tasting. The service was poor also. Our best meals were at Los Xtomatoes and Le Bistro. La Papala was very good but we were constantly bothered by children and adults selling flowers, gum, music, etc while trying to enjoy our "romantic" dinner on the beach.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cafe de Olla has good standard Mexican food. It is reasonably priced, cute decor, but very popular, so often in the evenings there's a long line on the sidewalk. I'd recommend it for a late lunch instead. I've always had good food there but nothing worth waiting an hour on the street for (IMO).

Trio's has an excellent reputation but is out of my price range so can't comment from personal experience. It's right downtown and not a beach or view restaurant.

Cafe des Artistes and La Palapa consistently get mixed reviews (again haven't eaten at either myself).

For something unique here's my favorite place - The Red Cabbage. It's at Calle Rivera del Rio 204A, tel: 22-304-11 Excellent cooking and atmosphere. It's tiny and out-of-the-way so call ahead for reservations.

You might enjoy Mariscos Tino's. It is a wonderful open-air seafood grill restaurant, sometimes with live music, away from the mainstream, but well respected by locals and visitors alike. Avenida 333 & Revolucion in Pitillal, tel: 224-5584

You can drop alot of money on meals in PV and not necessarily get the best in town, so (as you're doing) I'd continue to ask around for personal recommendations. And buy a copy of "Vallarta Lifestyles" magazine when you arrive, filled with ads for the more high-end restaurants, art galleries, shopping, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM

La Palapa is one of our favorites very consistent Cafe Artistes is beautiful but way over rated my daughter had scallops they were not cooked. Never went back again. Have never tried Trio but heard it is great. We go to Panorama wonderful place totally gourmet. Someone told us about Nube a new Italian Restaurant which I will try next visit in March, also going to try LeKliff heard it's great. We also go to an Italian Restaurant in the Marina which is called Portobella not expensive but good. Good Luck
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Cafe des Artists is not on my list as recommended:
http://vallarta-info.com/restaurants.html
I don't even list Le Kliff, go for the view if you like.
Personal recommendatios are here:
http://vallarta-info.com/puertovallartainsider.html#bar
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:12 AM

We ate at Trio last February for our anniversary dinner. It was very nice. Yes, it was pricey, but certainly no more than we would have paid in Toronto for a special dinner. (And probably cheaper than what we would have paid in Toronto.) I'd recommend it.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Cafe Maximillion is wonderful, too.