Notices

Belize or Costa Rica

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Belize or Costa Rica

My family, two adults and two kids in their early twenties, are planning a trip. My son, who would like to do some adventerous activities including scuba diving, has been to Costa Rica but it has been recommended by so many people I know. Is one place preferable over another?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps Costa Rica offers more land adventures ( a lot say prettier as well ) .... But Belize definitely is more of a dive destination ' The Blue Hole " , great reef etc..
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Yes, Belize has some of the best diving to be found anywhere, along with numerous maya sites, caving, horses, birding, hiking, kayaking and canoeing and is english speaking.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Key differences:

Belize
Maya ruins -- Costa Rica has none
Multicultural society (Mestizos, Creoles, Maya, Garifuna, others)
Barrier reef -- longest in western or northern hemispheres
Great snorkeling and diving
Many islands in the Caribbean
English official language
Fewer tourists than Costa Rica
Excellent beach resorts and jungle lodges
Lots of national parks and reserves

Costa Rica
Much more scenic
More variation in topography and scenery -- two oceans, alpine-like mountains, volcanos
Better beaches
Fairly large city -- San Jose has over a million people, four times as many as the entire country of Belize
More art and cultural activities

Both have friendly people. Prices are similar -- both countries are the most expensive destinations in Central America.

--Lan Sluder

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Belize is next up on our to do list (Feb 06), so I don't have experience to share.

However, we have traveled 4 times to CR.

I was facing the same questions this year, as my husband is wanting to explore other areas. Whereas I would be completely satisfied to just continue going to CR.

It really boils down to what you are expecting out of each country. Since you mention diving being a desire, then Belize would certainly fit the bill. I am not a diver, only a lowly snorkeler! The waters off of CR just simply will not give him the incredible diving experience that he will get in Belize. Although there is diving, the waters are just not as clear and you do not have the barrier reef.

For our upcoming (hopefully) trip to Belize, we are planning some adventurous things such as Barton Creek Caving, the ATM Cave tour, visiting Tikal in Guatemala and other Mayan Ruins in Belize and naturally snorkeling! This will be a fun trip with lots of hiking and birding and a few things that we do not get in CR.

As for CR, well with 4 trips behind us and 2 more with plans in the making - yes, I love Costa Rica - There is a lot to do:
Exploring Volcanos
Lots and Lots of hiking
Cloud Forest Exploring
Ziplining
Hanging Bridges
Fabulous White Water Rafting
Fishing
Surfing
Snorkeling
Horseback Riding
Waterfall Rapelling
Kayaking
Birding and wildlife watching
ETC!

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the information.

Where is Blue Hole? Is it a place that will be easy to locate. I assume it is on one of the cayes.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM

The Blue Hole, originally made famous by Jacques Cousteau, is an underwater sinkhold over 400 feet deep at Lighthouse Atoll. There is also a mainland Blue Hole, a river swimming area with often very blue water, on the Hummingbird Highway.

--Lan Sluder
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM

My roommate has property in Belize (about 4 blocks from the sea). His friend has emailed him and said they were hit pretty hard by "Wilma." My roommate has been a dive instructor, and I am sure would have recommended Belize, but be sure and check into the damages caused by Wilma before making a decision. It would be a shame if only small areas were available on your first trip, because you might be dissappointed in Belize and I hear it is paradise. Good Luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Wilma skirted Belize and luckily, only had wave damage to some of the piers on a few islands in the north close to the MX border. We're fine here.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:18 AM

can anyone tell where to look for the best air fare deals to costa rica, they seem very expensive in July over $700 each and there are five of us has anyone used fun jet flights? please email me at [email protected] with news of good places to stay and villas to rent near a nice pritty calm beach THANKS!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM

WE WOULD BE FLYING FROM TEXAS AUSTIN OR DALLAS...