Puerto Vallarta Question, Esp. Calling Suze!

Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta Question, Esp. Calling Suze!

Hi All,

Shouted out to Suze based on past threads I've been reading in doing searches, but would love to hear from anyone!

We're going to Puerto Vallarta, first time for both of us, either last week of Feb. or first week of March (finalizing that tomorrow) and are deciding between staying at Plaza Mar or Casa Andrea. Seems that Casa Andrea might be more peaceful and homey, but we love that Plaza Mar is right down on the beach, and it looks a little more spacious for a whole week.

Also a bit concerned about many reviews with Casa Andrea mentioning all the animals - while I'm fine with a dog or two wandering around, four or five sounds a bit much AND it's important to me that no cats be allowed in rooms since we both are allergic (I've emailed her to ask about it).

If I wouldn't have to lug beach chair and umbrella from Casa Andrea, due to the way it sounds it works in PB being you just buy a drink or something to eat from somewhere that will give you these to use - is that true? - then being a couple blocks back from the beach wouldn't bother me as much. Tho' I do love the idea of an ocean view from the balcony, which sounds more like Plaza Mar.

And yet having said all that, the pictures of Casa Andrea are just so inviting with the tropical plants everywhere, breakfast with others by the pool, etc.

Would love your opinion/s if you have!

Thanks in advance,
Laua
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:54 PM

I've only been to Puerto Vallarta once. During that trip, we stayed at Casa Andrea. Loved it. There were a few small dogs that we saw once in awhile. Not an issue. I love cats, really don't remember seeing any.

I don't know anything at all about Plaza Mar.

There were beach chairs available every where we went. Never paid for anything but drinks/food.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Sorry don't know anything about Plaza Mar (I'm can't even picture where it is exactly?).

Yes it's true how you describe it... you get 'free' use of beach chairs, loungers, umbrellas, palapas, tables, restrooms, sometimes even an outdoor shower at any of the many bars and restaurants that line the beach, for the price of drinks &/or some food every now and then.

Casa Andrea is a lovely peaceful place to stay, but if small dogs and cats are an issue for you, honestly it could be a concern. They are well cared for and Andrea keeps them mostly in her own half of the complex, but they are around, you do see and hear them in the courtyard, at the palapa bar at breakfast, etc. Working to save the strays in Vallarta is very important to her. There would not be animals IN your room.

I'm not sure how or why you have narrowed it down to only these two particular places(??) so it's hard to comment or make alternate suggestions. Have you thought about renting a condo? I got a great place thru www.vallarta-getaways.com last trip. High on the hill overlooking the beach in a great apartment building. Not knowing exactly your price range, have you looked at The Tropicana, Vallarta Sun Suites, Quinta Maria Cortez, Casa Isabel?

Let me know if you have other question. Happy to help if I can.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Plaza Mar is a great location, some very nice condos there, Jeff Musto rents many of them and he's a super nice guy to deal with. Nice views from most of the condos, which you won't have at Casa Anita.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. The decision between the two got made for me, as it turned out we needed to go the week of Feb. 25 rather than a week later, and Plaza Mar wasn't available til that second week. But we'd started really leaning toward Casa Andrea anyway, so it all worked out!

Suze, thanks for the other suggestions, I'm going to hold onto them for possible future. We'd narrowed down to these two based on a number of factors, and truth be told, by the time I saw your post I had limited energy to keep looking.

I'm feeling in great need of relaxation and although I originally was thinking I wanted to be right on the beach, as I looked at pictures and the numbers of people down there, I started to think I wanted to stay just a bit back from it all.

In the end it sounds like there was really no way to go wrong, a great position to be in!

Now I'll do more looking up of past threads to find out people's favorite things to do in PV, other than just lounging around at beach, pool, cafes, all of which I plan to do lots and lots of!! I remember reading that the botanical gardens are lovely, and one friend told me she found nothing more relaxing than being taken out on a fishing boat for the afternoon - not something I would have imagined myself doing, but who knows?!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM

Casa Andrea's is an oasis in the heart of the southside. You should be happy there. It's very cute, quiet, special. I always say it feels like staying with my rich Mexican relatives... if only I had some!

<by the time I saw your post I had limited energy to keep looking.>

huh? I answered the very same day you posted your question -lol!!
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh absolutely, I very much appreciated your extremely quick response!

I didn't mean that at all as a commment on your response time, tho' now that I re-read it I totally see how you would have thought that. Rather, I meant it as a comment on myself - I didn't think to come here and ask the question, until I'd spent a crazy (and I mean crazy, lol! I've been known to get a little obsessive when it comes to travel planning amount of time researching a ton of places. And so beyond the two I'd asked about, I didn't have it in me to keep going.

Not only do I appreciate your quick response to me, but also your helpfulness to others in past threads, as I look through.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:30 AM

(If you haven't seen them yet) there are two PV threads I started if you click on my screen name . Lots of people chimed in sharing great information. There is also an excellent PV forum over at Trip Advisor. Next time start there and you can save yourself a lot of time -haha!

ps- I knew what you meant, I was just kidding around
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Laura~some of my favorite things to do (besides lounge!) are a boat trip to Yelapa, ziplining, and whale watching. Snorkeling tours are available, but I've found them somewhat disappointing compared to snorkeling in Cabo or Cozumel. I also love people watching on the Malecon, and there is often free entertainment at the amphitheatre. The weather this time of year is (in my opinion) perfect~warm, not too hot days, and cool nights. I will be there next week as well..........