Restaurant Raves Puerto Vallarta

Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Restaurant Raves Puerto Vallarta

Sharing favorite restaurant recommendations in Zona Romantica & Centro
one week in PV (5/25-6/1/16):

~~Anejo Limon (the 3-course restaurant week menu)
~~Vitea (breakfast)
~~Joe Jacks (two Nicoise salads, mojitos & ice tea)
~~Fredy's el Tucan (breakfast)
~~Derby City Burgers (burger & fish sandwich to-go)
~~La Piazetta (take-out pizza)
~~Daiquiri Dicks (club sandwich & cheeseburger, margaritas & ice tea)
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and we were at Vista del Sol on the 7th floor. It is a beautiful Mexican-styled condo building with an ocean view overlooking the Malecon and Los Muertos beach in Zona Romantica just north of Lazaro Cardenas plaza. A wonderfully fabulous place to stay!

http://puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/vistadelsol/
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 06:42 PM

I love Fredy's but have not tried Vitea for breakfast. Will have to put that on the list.
We loved VDS too (we were on the 4th floor, parents were on 3rd). Got a great deal there, so hard to beat.
How did it compare to other places you've stayed?
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Vista del Sol was absolutely lovely. But I really can't "compare" it to my other places...

Since I was with my sister we shared the generously sized 2-bedroom unit with a huge patio and ocean view, great Mexican decor. But when I'm solo (most of my trips) I get a studio or 1-bedroom condo or just a simple hotel room and not as close to the beach. I always rent a place with a pool because I love to be in the water.
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 12:32 PM

Looks like a lovely place to stay suze, although they could use a few umbrellas by the pool.
Had a good meal at Joe Jack's my last trip to PV.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Sure I guess umbrellas would be nice. There is a covered pavilion area at the side of pool with 4-5 loungers under that. When I was there it was not crowded so wouldn't have been an issue if you wanted to sit in the shade.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 02:57 PM

When we were there it wasn't an issue to get under the covered pavilion either so there really wasn't much need for umbrellas and they are still close to the pool to watch my kids if the older ones were in there at the time. I really liked the place, they only downfall for us was that the beach in front was not great at all (even by town standards), so we had to go south to get a better beach and with little kids it would have been nice to just go out front. That was the only downfall I could have found with it at all, otherwise, it was close to perfect Wish they had 3 bedrooms though (except for the one they have and he wants $500 US/night and that is waaay too high).
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

It also can get really REALLY windy up there sometimes. So I'm not sure how umbrellas would work out.

I'm not much of a beach person, but yes you would need to walk a little ways south to get to a wider stretch of beach for sand time.

Right out front is pretty much just vendors on break, ex-pats & their dogs, the Muffin Man, etc.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Topping this thread for TABERNASH2's request over on the Caribbean forum (about Mexico)...

Besides Vista del Sol the same management company ("PV Kid") has units at Plaza Mar and other Old Town complexes as well.

The other local rental agent I use and like very much is: www.vallarta-getaways.com. For that website look under the Unique Old Town Rentals tab.

I've also stayed at el Escondido and Selva Romantica recently.

For hotels I stay simple & cheap, this one has been a favorite for over two decades:
www.hotelposadaderoger.com
Probably too simple for your trip needs but always a good option to keep in mind in a pinch.
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

<Also, what's your favorite time of year, to visit PV?>

The weather is the best from about Thanksgiving thru Easter. That's also considered "high season" so you pay more for hotels, resorts, apartments, condos rentals.

December 1 - 12 is wonderful because it's also the Festival of the Virgin of Guadalupe and is the biggest holiday of the year in PV.

I have been going myself most recently in May and late October (early November) because the weather is still pretty decent but rates are lower in most situations and town isn't quite as crowded as Jan-April.

June is good because it's "more Mexican" feeling with less gringo visitors and more Mexican people (from inland areas coming to the beach for their vacations), but that's the beginning of summer and rainy season so will be more hot, humid, possibly rainy and buggy. Cheaper rental rates most places.

The only months I would probably avoid completely are August and September because of being statistically the hottest, most humid, and wettest months of the year in Vallarta.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Although August and September receive more rainfall than other months, it doesn't rain all day, just typical tropical downpours, lasting usually no more than 2 hours, nice after temp. & humidity lower..
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 08:27 AM

Suze, I realize you just left, but I'd be curious to see how this place does in PV. http://vallartalifestyles.com/new-re...iliano-zapata/
It's run by a couple from San Miguel and I guess they just opened over there. Their mezcal margaritas are the bomb. Especially the cilantro/cucumber with white chili pepper infusion and worm salt. Since cucumber is a vegetable, that makes it healthy to have 3 or 4.
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

baldone, It's already getting excellentd comments over on the Trip Advisor PV forum.

I wish I'd been aware of it because it's right in the area I wa staying (Pino Suarez was our cross street and all the time we were at Lazaro Cardenas park/plaza) so I must have walked by it a million times w/out noticing.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Thanks for topping, suze. I am just starting to think of a girls' getaway for this Fall. I'll need a location that can be reached non-stop on Southwest Airlines: Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, Cancun.

I know PV is your favorite, and I'm also leaning towards that area, so I'm copying your recommendations. Must haves: very nice place, oceanfront rooms, swimming/snorkeling beach on-site, not a huge AI resort.

Prices look so reasonable, we could go with a 4 or 5-star place.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

I love Puerto Vallarta but I have also been to Cabo San Lucas once and La Paz once, so could help a bit with that if you choose the Baja instead.

Only know about Mayan Riviera from reading forums, magazines, guidebooks, articles, for the Caribbean side of the country (Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, Tulum).

Upfront are my "disclaimers" because my travel style is very different than what you are requesting:

I have never stayed at a "resort", huge, All-Inclusive or any other kind. So that matches up.

There is not good off-shore snorkeling in PV (nor in Cabo).

I probably wouldn't call the places I rent "very nice place" either. They are basic Mexican style apartments or hotel rooms. I can't afford "oceanfront" or "4 or 5 star places". I'm a budget traveler ($50-67/night is my max.).

BUT I do know about the nicer hotels in PV & can recommend some by their reputation & having stopped in to tour or have food or drinkns & having (better off) friends who have stayed there.

If you give me a USD price range I can post a few links and you can start to get a feel for what might work for you and your friend. And let me know the month you plan to travel if you know that (only because prices almost double on rentals between off season (May thru Oct) and high season (Nov thru April).

I'd love to give you some ideas whether the trip comes to fruition or not.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

(also hotel room/apartment configuration you seek... 2 bedroom & 2 bathroom? 1 bedroom with 2 beds OK? 1 bathroom shared? Full kitchen or no? Frig?)
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 01:33 PM

Thanks, suze. Are there condo-hotels? Because we'd like the amenities of a resort hotel, but we'd like to have separate bedrooms. Can share one bath. Price range-- I'm not sure. Depends on if I can get airfare with my RR on Southwest. My female traveling companion has no spending limits per se.

If no snorkeling, we'd still like a great beachfront property where we can swim a bit in the ocean.

Time-frame is open. It looks like weather is better if we go late October?

We wouldn't want to be on 'resort row' with high rises.

Hope I've answered your questions.
We are loose at this point.

I'd love to have your recommendations for nicer hotels.
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Introduction: Puerto Vallarta 101

<We wouldn't want to be on 'resort row' with high rises.>
That more describes The Hotel Zone or The Marina, I stay in Old Town, the central area, including Centro (downtown) and south of the river dubbed "Zona Romantica".

The later in the fall you go will be better weather. Summertime is the rainy season. Most places change rates at Nov 1st but if budget isn't a strict concern, I'd wait and go in Nov or Dec if possible. The closer you are to rainy season more likely high temps, high humidity, buggy, rainy.

This is the condo my sister and I shared last week:
http://puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/vistadelsol715/
2 bedroom, 2 bath, it's a condo building, across the Malecon (pedestrian seawall promonade) from the beach and ocean
We gave $840 for the week total.

Here's a similar 2/2 at Plaza Mar, the condo building next door just south of Vista del Sol, thru the same agent:
http://puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/plazamar303/

Selva Romantica is another condo complex I've stayed at. It sits up on a hill and has an amazing infinity pool.
http://www.vallarta-getaways.com/ren...condo-rentals/

Unique & boutique hotels:

Casa Isabel
http://www.casaisabelpv.com/hotel
Sits high on the hillside overlooking the town/beach/ocean

Quinta Maria Cortez
http://villasinvallarta.com/room-list/qmc/
Right on the beach, at the south end of Los Muertos (beach in Zona Romantica)

Villa Premiere
Is a more resort-like hotel with Mexican flair and an excellent reputation as being the nicest resort hotel the closest (walking distance) to Centro (downtown)
http://www.premiereonline.com.mx/

Beachfront in Old Town:
The Tropicana
http://www.tropicanavallarta.com/
Is a low-key traditional Mexican-styled hotel with a great beachfront set up directly out front (palapas, waiter service, etc.) besides the two swimming pools. It might be more humble than you are seeking, but if you got the best room category there might work. Or even each getting your own room.

Just for laughs:
Hotel Posada de Roger
http://hotelposadaderoger.com/
This is my home-away-from home where rooms still go for about $50/night. It's safe, clean, bare bones, budget basic place.

Last but not least use the maps on this website:
www.vallartainfo.com
to get an idea of the lay of the land and names for various areas because Vallarta is a good-sized city these days (pop. 250,000+).
Old Jun 8th, 2016, 05:40 PM

Thanks, suze. My research begins.
Old Jun 9th, 2016, 06:51 AM

Just curious Suze. I see nothing much about Mexican food in your review. Stick with US style mostly?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO