Puerta Vallarta Best Restaurants

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerta Vallarta Best Restaurants

Hi - am going to PV for the first time over Thanksgiving and was hoping for a few awesome fine dining recommendations...maybe with views? We eat anything and everything from French to sushi to great fresh fish, so anyone out there have any suggestions? Thanks! Joanne
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:27 AM

I was in PV in December 2003 (wow has it really been that long??). We went to a restaurant called "Barcelona Tapas". It was EXCELLENT. Here is a link that tells about the restaurant: http://www.vallartaonline.com/restaurants/barcelona/

The sangria was very tasty, and there was not one thing in the variety of items that we ordered that we did not thoroughly enjoy.

It is up on a hill and you have to go up a lot of stairs to reach the restaurant, fyi.

Enjoy your trip,
Sarah
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Cafe de Artiste seems to be rated #1 on vallarta on line, I have tried it and it is a great place but I would also recommend LaPalapa which is right on the beach and a new place opened up this past winter called Capital Grille Great place. Go to vallarta on line and check the restaurants out. Have fun I am going the 2nd wk of November, and will try to go to all three of these.
Old Sep 10th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Here are addresses for the suggestions above:
Barcelona Tapas
Corner of Matamoros & 31 de Octubre
reservations; 222-0510

Cafe des Artistes
Guadalup Sanchez 740
reservations: 222-3228

La Palapa
Pulpito 103, Playa Los Muertos
reservations: 222-5225

And I'll add...
Trio
Guerrero 264, Centro
222-2196
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And while I don't consider it "fine dining" - one of the more interesting restaurants is The Red Cabbage Cafe, 22-304-11 at Calle Rivera del Rioe 204A in the Remance district. Excellent and unique Mexican recipes.
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM

We go to PV every year. We never miss dining at the Bistro. It is closed on Mondays. Riverwalk Cafe has great breakfast.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:49 PM

We always enjoy the Italian restauant La Dolce Vita on the Malecon. It is great on a Sun. when the Mexicans are having their day off. Lots of activity on the Malecon and lots of fun.

Ann
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM

All of the above are great. Once you get to PV just ask around, there are so many great restaurants you won't have time to get to them all on your trip. The Kliff has a great view. I have heard nice reviews about the Rhythms of the Night tour. You get dinner that's probably OK but the scenery and night time show on the private beach they take you to is said to be beautiful. La Palapa on the beach is really great fish dining. Just ask people when you get there, you will have umpteen recommendations. Restaurants are great in PV.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 06:43 PM

To this conversation, I would add Pipis for a very fun dinner, but not the formal one you are seeking however. Since butsey posted above I have posted that I thought Cafe de Artiste was overrated and way to expensive for what you get. Also it's indoors, soooo, no view, and they allow smoking. It doesn't bother me in an outdoor or open air restaurant, but I gotta say it bothered me at Artiste. Like being in Europe. I would not go there again and would seek that "special occassion" dinner some place else. But that's me.
Unfortunately, during my recent trip (click on my user name for a full restaurant report) Le Bistro and River cafe were closed. For pure romantic and "fine", I say La Palapa and reserve the special dinner on the beach out in front of the restaurant. See their web site.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I would recommend El Arrayan which serves fresh and traditional mexican food with more on the gourmet style of cooking.
It has a wonderful patio seating area
and the service was great.
It's a few blocks up from the Malecon.
http://www.elarrayan.com.mx/

Have a great time in Puerto Vallarta!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I would second BillJ's recommendation on Pipi's. I just came back from PV this past Sunday. A taxi driver suggested Pipi's. It's good, reasonably priced, Mexican food with a very friendly staff and grande margaritas! Plus, you gotta love the complimentary guacamole prepared table-side!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Since you said "awesome with views", I would highly reccommend Vista Grill. Just ate there last week for my 3rd time and it was just as wonderful as usual. A bit pricy, but awsome with a panoramic view of the city. You can go online and look at their website and see if the menu appeals to you.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 07:35 PM

El Arrayan is our favorite! Vitea is wonderful(new place by Trio group) and nice view of the bay and soon if not already, the malecon expansion. WE never miss the Red Cabbage either!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your tips! I am printing them out and taking them with me. Adios! Joanne
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Hey all you great posters -- Doesn't anybody like Coco Tropical on Los Muertos Beach????? I do, I have never had a bad meal there, so what' up?? But then my husband and I are easy pleasers, and we like all the restaurants listed above --and also Brazil. Did I mention somewhere I'll be sitting at some of these restaurants in about 5 days for 12 whole, fun days? Just rubbing it in. (smile, smile) Cheers
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Hi All My Amigos & Amigas going or coming from Puerto Vallarta Just returned from a wonderful vacation last week arrived home Sunday morning had the greatest time. Guess with the hurricane in Cancun Puerto Vallarta seems to be busier than ever, so much traffic to town I couldn't believe it. Here is where we ate Daquiri Dick's our 1st time Great Place right on the beach had seafood excellent. Here are the restaurants we go all the time Portobello at the Marina Excellent Italian ate there 2x also ate at Buenos Aires at the Marina it's an Argentinian Steak So Good!!! LaPalapa we saved for our last night also ate seafood there and had the best Apple Martinis. Well there is my list Can't wait to go back We like to try a different place every vacation. So to all my fellow Fodorite's who love Puerto Vallarta as much as I do I will say that after going there for 16yrs I still sit on the balcony looking at the Ocean and thank God every day for sending me to this place that I love.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:04 AM

I am returning to PV on Nov. 17/06 for a week, cannot wait to try some of these restaurants.

Any other suggestions for fun?

Last time we were with friends and didn't always get to choose where we ate.

Thanks everyone.