Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puebla: what's your favorite restaurant?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2019, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We leave for Puebla in 3 days and the time has slipped up on me and I'm scrambling to get good suggestions for restaurants in Puebla, where we will spend 3 nights, arriving Saturday afternoon after taking the bus from the Mexico City airport. Our preferences--poblano cuisine, not fusion, not exotic inventions, prefer relaxing evenings with restaurants that have mezcal and vodka capabilities Thank you!
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 06:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We always make Sacrista De La Compañía our first stop. Plus it's close to where we usually stay and on a quiet pedestrian andador. They do have a full bar, but I usually go for tequila or beer rather than vodka or mezcal.
MESONES SACRISTÍA | Hotel boutique y Restaurante en el Centro Histórico de Puebla, México | Grupo Tesoros.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 06:37 AM

I loved Las Ranas but it is not fancy...nice, but not fancy. There are two facing each other across the street...one has a pretty courtyard and that is where we went but I imagine they are similar. We ate there more than once.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 02:30 PM

I liked Fonda de Santa Clara which wasn't too far from my hotel. They have several around town, I ate at the one in Centro.

Centro - Fonda de Santa Clara

It's not really upscale. I have a feeling you want an upscale place with a bar, I've only eaten in modest places and sometimes you can't even wine, mainly beer.

I know this place has what you want, it's a little more expensive and you can see not quite as traditional
El Mural de los Poblanos Lo Mejor de la Cocina Poblana con un Ambiente y Servicio de Primera Calidad
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 11:03 PM

Las Ranas was easily our favourite place in Puebla. As mentioned by ekscrunchy, not fancy, but definitely worthy of consideration.

We did try the restaurant at Meson Sacristia as we were staying there for two of our four nights in town and had heard that the restaurant was one of the best in town. However we were unimpressed. Maybe it was one off bad night but the food was not great, we were the only customers so there was no atmosphere yet the service was terrible. To top it all the Maitre D delivered the bill and before I had even looked at it was telling me not to forget the propina - several times! As I said, maybe just an off night as the breakfasts were fine.

Not Mexican but Italian, we loved La Berenjena - really excellent food and a great wine list.
Old Feb 18th, 2019, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the ideas. We're in Puebla now, such a beautiful and energetic city, will post a TR later. We had a fine dinner the first night at our hotel, Casareyna, also a very beautiful structure designed by Legorreta, more to come. Last night a truly superb dinner at El Mural de los Poblanos. Yesterday we had a frustrating search for Las Ranas for lunch and we finally gave up; the cause--I stupidly got the street grid of Puebla totally confused. It's actually very logical, the way the city is divided into quadrants and then north south east west etc. For some reason I had a brain freeze. We shall try again today. Tomorrow: Tlaxcala for a couple of nights.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:47 AM

Let me know how you like Txlacala
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 01:49 PM

Glad you liked El Mural; I did, too. Las Ranas is right in the center and everyone is so friendly..just ask if you get lost and confused..all locals should know the two Las Ranas.'
I dont' know fit hey serve alcohol.
Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 02:26 PM

I had mole poblano (3 moles) on one occasion and chile en nogada on another occasion at the restaurant la Mexicana right next to NH Puebla Centro Hotel. Highly enjoyed both meals—very atmospheric, service excellent, the tres moles were out of this world!
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

silver ...we liked Tlaxcala very much, a beautiful Centro and a large, ancient Franciscan monastery. TR to follow... we're ending our trip, now in Mexico City, fly home to Key West tomorrow
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 06:21 PM

great to know. I have a feeling I will need to come back to this part of Mexico again.....