Search

Restaurants in zona rosa, mexico city

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:11 PM
epi
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in zona rosa, mexico city

We will be staying at the Sheraton Maria Isabel in January, and are looking for restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We would really like Mexican, but are open to any kind and pretty much any price. We will be spending a week in Oaxaca after Df, so will have many good Mexican meals there, i am sure.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM

For Mexican you can walk to Fonda El Refugio in about 10 minutes. It's in all the guidebooks so you'll hear English being spoken, but the food is very good and moderately priced. Be VERY careful crossing Paseo de la Reforma, traffic moves quickly and it's a wide street. The website is www.fondaelrefugio.com.mx

For a steakhouse with a Mexican twist there is a La Mansion in the Zona Rosa. The website is www.lamansion.com.mx

Connected to the hotel is a Sanborn's store and cafe. Mmmmmm, sopa de tortilla and a club sandwich (believe it or not, quite common in Mexico). Or have a synchronizada -- ham and melted cheese between two tortillas. Or tostadas de pollo. Think a slightly fancy Mexican Woolworth's lunch counter but with table service. The chain has been in business for about 100 years.

You will also be a quick cab ride from the restaurants in Polanco such as Izote and Aguila y Sol for much fancier Mexican.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:15 AM

I wish I had seen your post about Sanborns before my trip to DF earlier this year. I stayed at the Sheraton for part of my visit, but passed on hotel food...my rationale was that any hotel with a Starbucks could not possibly serve authentic local cuisine....
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Have not set foot in Fonda del Refugio since 1986 but visited it regularly 1970-1986. Found it consistently superb. The best of semi-classic Mexican cuisine.

And let their be no doubt, there is
haute cuisine in Mexico.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:00 PM

El Rincon Argentino - in or near Polanco. The best beef you'll ever eat. Sangrita to drink. Empanadas, Yumm. They bring out our steak, lomo, etc. on a large wooden platter. Great service and wonderful ambiente. And the food....it's fantastic. Won't disappoint.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM

cantina los remedios, rincon argentino, la esquina del che, etc

I live in mexico city so write me if you need more specific information
http://members.virtualtourist.com/pedroebc

bye
pedro