Notices

Power plug adaptors in Buenos Aires?

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power plug adaptors in Buenos Aires?

Supposedly 220 volts and uses the round prongs like continental Europe. But also the slanted prongs used in Australia?

http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/c_argen.htm

What did people encounter in BA? I'm going to be staying at an apartment not a hotel which caters to US visitors so I will definitely need a plug.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Hi Scrb,

I am there now - in an apartment and all my plugs are the slanted Australian ones. One of the first things I did was go to a hardware store and buy a plug adaptor so I could use my laptop. It cost about 10 pesos. As you say - some places have the European ones. When I went to buy an extension cord, the first one the guy showed me was that type - so I said - no-I need the other.

good luck

raquel
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Hi scrb, our hotel in Recoleta had the slanted prong outlets.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks that's good to know. Made it sound like the slanted prongs were rare but that doesn't sound like the case at all.

May try to dig up another one to add to the one I have in my kit.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM

I don't know if all the hotels do it, but we saw guests in our hotel go to the desk and get adaptors for their rooms.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM

Most hotels have adaptors but if you are not in a hotel you can buy one for aprox 1 dollar in most
FERRETERIAs that is hardware stores.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Is there a particular chain of hardware stores to look for? Maybe I can search a store name on the web.

Does Buenos Aires have anything like department stores which has big food halls with takeaway food, like in London?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM

The 3 large stores (malls) we visited, Patio Bullrich, Alto Palermo and Galleria Pacifico, did not have any sort of shops for food (unless I missed one) but did have Food Courts.
But there are wonderful food shops, some very nice with paté and treats to bring/send home. I found a few in Recoleta and in Palermo.
You can find a hardware store on Ave Santa Fe.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 12:18 PM

I'm confused. The link in the first message brings you to a site that says "The most common grounded outlet in Argentina looks like the Australian #6G but is not the same as the active and neutral wires are reversed. Thus it is not recommended that the Australian plug be used in Argentina. Currently we do not have the proper Argentina grounded adapter." Does that mean that you can use the same kind of non-grounded plugs in Argentina that are used in Australia, but you shouldn't use an Austrailian voltage adapter? Are certain types of plugs more common in some parts of Argentina than others?

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM

SCRB,
I just found a ferreteria - which is a hardware store. There seem to be enough around in the various neighbourhoods. I do not know where you are staying. If you want specialized stuff like surge protectors etc - try La casa del Transformador - on Parana on the 200 block. As for food - the large supermarkets like Norte have some take out food and packaged salads etc. Lots of places have Pizza or empanadas or other stuff to take out.

As for adaptors etc, my concern was with my laptop. it said that it was OK for 100-250. So all I ended up needing was the plug adaptor. And to be safe I purchased a surge protector in Bs As.

raquel

Since i am currently staying in an apartment like you will be - if you have specific questions you can email me at zucroc at hotmail.com

When are you coming?

raquel
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Raquel.

My stay is from 11/19 to 11/25. I arrive like 10 or 11 AM on the 19th.

The apartment is on Pellegrini so that's near Pl. San Martin.

I guess I'll take my kit and see what happens. The travel shop here shows the two rounded prongs plugs as the ones for Argentina so we'll see.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Hi all
Power in Argentina: 220/50hz.
Ferreterias, one in every corner has the right adaptor for your device.
Easy (local home depot) has a large mall in Palermo area with a nice shopping and food court, must see.
More info about argentine prongs here:
http://kropla.com/electric2.htm
Buena suerte y buen viaje!
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Maybe an email to the rental company will get you an answer as to what plugs that specific apartment has. But the worse that will happen is that you will need to make a trip to a hardwarestore.

I am on Carlos pelligrine pretyy much every day - since that is where the language school I am attending is located...

raquel
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I emailed the agency and he said he'd try to find out but maybe he doesn't get an answer to me before I leave.

I have high school Spanish and a phrase thing for my iPod but otherwise, I'm going there with no Spanish.

Made it through Barcelona earlier this year so hopefully things will be okay.