Buenos Aires - electricty and US stuff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter will be doing a college study abroad in Buenos Aires for 6 month - doing a homestay. Would it be practical to bring a US power strip that she can plug several things into (mostly chargers for cell phone, computer) and then plug that into a converter/transformer and then into wall? I understand about items neeeding to be 220V. She is concerned about blowing out the electricity at her host's home or something worse.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 03:17 AM

It's not precisely my "area of expertise", but I understand those chargers should handle 220 V. My laptop's charger does and it was purchased in the US. I suggest you ask your DD to check her equipment for that. She may or may not need a transformer.

Most likely all she needs is one or more plug adapters. They are widely available here. She can also buy a power strip here, to charge several things at the same time, most likely overnight. We call it a "zapatilla".

Since our voltage is higher than that used in the US, I believe she shouldn't be concerned "about blowing out the electricity at her host's home or something worse." But if her equipment cannot handle 220 V and she plugs it into the wall without a transformer, it would probably be ruined.

Of course, she can also do what your post says, but I believe it is not necessary.

Don't worry Gail, your DD should have a wonderful time here. Rather, if I were you, I would worry about her not wanting to go back home. Some of the wonders of our country are sort of addictive. LOL!!
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was worried at first but now mainly will miss her - planning to visit mid-trip around October. Her computer has already travelled with her to 3 countries in Europe, so it should be fine. I just ordered 2 plug adapters.

She also likes to torment me about not coming home - and I am planning to visit her in October.
Old Jun 18th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Fine. October is mid-spring for us and a wonderful time to visit here.

If you wish, tell DD she can write to me to albertovgalloATyahoo.com in the unlikely event that she encounters any problems she cannot handle on her own.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 08:04 PM

The multi-strip is a good idea, and will come in handy. They are very easy to find at any hardware store or building supply in the US. It will need only a single adapter plug (not expensive) that accepts USA two-blade plugs, (plus ground) and has the two pin plugs to mate with the Argentine wall outlet.

Others are correct: most chargers and adapters these days are made to accept dual voltages. (US 110, and Arg 220) Camera battery chargers and laptop chargers are usually dual voltage.

If she has an item that is not dual voltage, buy a transformer to step down the voltage to that particular item, and plug the transformer into the multi-strip.

Any appliance that "heats" (and wasn't purchased in Argentina) will probably need to use a transformer. (ie curling irons, hair dryers, immersion heater elements, coffee makers) You should be aware that those items. If you are using any of those items with your transformer, be certain the transformer can handle the current for which the appliance is rated.

If this doesn't work, call Av!
tptr

tptr
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again - we now have 2 adaptor plugs, a 3-plug mini-power strip, and she has a transformer in a kit of assorted international plugs and adaptors she already owns from other trips - I don't even think she is bringing that much electrical stuff.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM

Thank you, tptr!

When should we expect the band back down here?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM

Hi Av:
Happy winter!

Hope we can eventually work in another BsAs sojurn. The 5 of us are off to Florence this year.
tptr
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:06 AM

Aw, c'mon tptr! Argentina is much better and I'll bet you dollars to dougnuts there is no AV in Florence! LOL!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM

You dont need a voltage converter for a laptop, all you need is an adapter. For cell phones its a bit different, most new cell phones dont need converters (blackberries and some iphones). Look at the back of you electronics and it should show something like (110v-220v) which means it can run on both. All other things need a voltage converter. The adapters can be picked up for pennies from the street vendors.

Hope that helps:
http://www.wanderingtrader.com