Playa Riviera--All inclusive resort and snorkeling?

May 6th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Playa Riviera--All inclusive resort and snorkeling?

Hi all! I'm back after a wonderful vacation at the Moon Palace a year and a half ago from great advice from this site. Now my husband and I would like to be closer to great snorkeling areas as I've read is true near Akumal, Cozumel, and even just off shore of some of the Riviera Maya coastline resorts. Please suggest some resorts on the beach that would be the most convenient for us for getting to the best snorkeling areas and perhaps even have a reef right out front of the resort where we could snorkel. Is Playa del Carmen the only place to catch the ferry to Cozumel or just the most convenient and shortest distance between the two lands? Should we be south towards Alkumal or closer to Playa del Carmen? Don't want to pay quite as much as the Royal Hideaway Resort, but we do like good food and atmosphere. Any suggestions for a little more than average all inclusive resort?---Have to get our air by Friday for a great sale one of the airlines is having. Could register for a resort after paying for the air, but prefer to do it all at the same time. Hope to hear from you soon! --Will probably make reservations for sometime in September---usually a little less expensive and maybe slightly cooler.
And....what is the best means of getting from the airport to the resort in the Riviera Maya region?
May 6th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Heh, I posted this message quite late at night. Meant to title it Riviera Maya--not Playa Riviera! Hope I get some responses! Duh!
May 7th, 2003, 12:03 AM

I haven't stayed at an AI in the Riviera Maya yet...although my hubby & I hope to do so in Sept. We are still researching everything, and I wanted to share a web Site with you that I've found helpful: www.ramproductions.com/survey/topres.asp
May 7th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Some answers to your question:

1. Yes, the ferry to Cozumel leaves from Playa (and as far as I know there aren't any other ferries).

2. There's no snorkeling from the beach at Playa del Carmen or Playacar - its a sandy bottom so there isn't any coral to attract fish.

3. There's some OK snorkeling off the OMNI beach at Puerto Aventuras (swim to the reef). There's also some snorkeling off the beach in Akumal on the sides of the bay. There's also some snorkeling in Cozumel. In general, the snorkeling off shore in this area is not as good as off-shore in the Virgin Islands (St. John and BVIs). However, snorkeling by boat to reefs is very good and I highly recommend booking a boat trip.
May 7th, 2003, 06:30 AM

I forgot to ask - who is having a great sale?
May 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM

There is decent snorkelleing at the Barcelo Maya resort, located about 10 miles south of PDC.
May 7th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm taking notes on all your responses. Thanks so much.---Mariarosa, the air sale is out of Denver through Frontier Airlines. I don't know if Frontier is having specials this week out of other cities to Cancun. $99. one way or $119. if flying on a weekend, and it's non stop. That's at least half the usual price.--We just made our reservations and--of course!--there are added taxes and costs(mostly Mexican) of about $80. per round trip ticket. We figure it's still a good deal though because those extra taxes and add ons are going to be added to any airline's ticket. ---Now to find a place to stay!
May 7th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Wow Honeydoe! That is an excellent airfare! I can't seem to find anything out of Philly for less than $500!
May 7th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

We are on Frontier's frequent mileage program so maybe that is why they emailed us the advertised sale Monday of this week. We haven't seen the sale advertised in the newspapers.
One or two poor reviews that I read about an all inclusive resort will turn me away so I'm getting stuck in a slot of wanting only the best--- like RIU Palace or Iberostar Tucan. Maybe I was spoiled by staying at the Moon Palace in Cancun two years ago.--Kind of a seaweed beach, but loved the pools,a room right on the beach, the service and friendliness and the food. Wish I could find a great place like that for less money. Also, some reviews tell about resorts that didn't honor their reservations upon arrival and it happened more than once to them and others. Said they overbooked. Don't want that hassel! ---Still searching.