Snorkeling at Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal in PDC

Jul 25th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Snorkeling at Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal in PDC

If anyone has been to Iberstar Tucan.Quetzal, or knows the PDC coast well, please let me know if I will be able to snorkel at the hotel's beach? If not, how far would I have to go down the beach for decent snorkeling? Also, if I wanted to go to say, the Barcelo Maya hotel to snorkel, but was not staying there, would that be possible?
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:35 AM

I stayed at the Royal Hideaway which is not too far from Iberostar (I think). We took our snorkel gear into the water at the beach and saw (surprisingly-we thought there was nothing at all) several schools of clear looking fish. But it was nothing of particular interest. We took a snorkel trip from our hotel to a cove off the coast near Xcaret. The snorkeling was okay. Nothing terrific. BTW, this is also the same place they take you if you take the snorkeling tour from Xcaret. I don't know where you can go for great snorkeling. Ten years ago I went to Xel-ha and there were tons of fish. Sadly, I hear it has changed so much and there is not much to see anymore. Good luck finding a place. How about Cozumel?
Jul 25th, 2003, 11:37 AM

i would snorkel in Cozumel (take ferry from PDC) before going over to the Barcelo (about 20 min. cab ride). Barcelo guests all have bracelets. I would imagine there could be a problem for a non-barcelo guest using barcelo facilities. You could definitely not get equipment, use towels, eat, etc.
Jul 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help.
Anyone have any suggestions that are closer to PDC than Cozumel?
Jul 26th, 2003, 08:13 PM

Cozumel is only a short ferry ride away from PDC.
Jul 28th, 2003, 05:39 AM

If you really want to find good snorkeling Cozumel is one of the best bets. If you just want to see a few big fish and experience the novelty of breathing through a plastic tube go to Xel-Ha (one of the funnier parts of our trip was watching first timers don their fins at the rental booth and flop the 100 yards down the sidewalk to the water). Our trip to Xel-Ha was mediocre at best. Visibility is maybe 10 feet and very few tropical fish (plenty of jacks and snapper out near the bridge). While we were dissappointed we overheard novice snorkelers who were fascinated. It all depends on what you are accustomed to.

If you do Cozumel, just about anywhere with a coral "iron shore" beach will provide some good snorkeling. Not far from the ferry terminal, head south to Chankanaab or Dzul-Ha. The latter is nothing more than a roadside bar with a pool and a decent menu. For a low key afternoon you can't beat it.

Some of the best snorkeling we found was in a park at the southern tip of the island. Ten dollar entry fee and they take you to the beach in big truck. The beach was the most gorgeous one we found on the island. About 300 yards off shore is a fairly long and shallow reef with plenty of areas to stand up and take a break. The variety of fish and coral here surpassed everything else we saw on the island. On the way back stop at Coconuts for a late lunch. The view is incredible. The photo albums are interesting too.

Have a great time.
Jul 28th, 2003, 03:21 PM

If you want good snorkeling closer than Cozumel, then you're looking at 1/2 hr north to Puerto Morelos where you can get a snorkeling trip with any of the operators from the main town dock ($20 or more now).
Or if you cab it 1/2 south, ask the driver to drop you at the north end of Akumal...just walk into to the beach there and there is excellent snorkelling right from the beach...or cab it or rental car it to Yak-ul Lagoon. Check out the Mayan Riveria map at http://www.cancunmap.com/ to get a better sense of these areas.