Please critique my 2 week itinerary in the Mayan Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my boyfriend and I are going to the Mayan Riviera for the first time this X-Mas. We are in our late twenties and enjoy bars, restaurants with a nice ambience, good food, and live bands. We also love shopping and culture. Please critique my current itinerary.

Dec 25 Arrive at 10:10AM in Cancun, take Riviera bus to Playa Del Carmen

Dec 25-28 Base in Playa Del Carmen, day trip to Cozumel
Dec 28 Take bus to Chichen Itza early in the AM, visit ruins, and then continue on to Merida

Dec 28-31 Base in Merida, day trip to Progresso, and Celestun

Dec 31 Take bus back to Cancun in AM time for New Year?s Eve party in Cancun

Dec 31-Jan 6 Base in Cancun and day trip to Tulum and Coba ruins, Xacaret, Xel-Ha, and Isla Mujeres,

What is New Year's Eve like in Cancun and where to go? Will I run into problems with bus schedules based on my itinerary? Are restaurants open in PDC on X-Mas day? Any suggestions for unforgettable restaurants?

How can I fit Coba into my itinerary? Is Uxmal worth the trip from Merida?
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Since there are so many things that you want to see that are south of Playa Del Carmen, I would lenghen that part of the stay and shorten the Cancun part. Tulum, Coba, Xcaret and Xel-Ha are considerably closer to PDC than Cancun. As if you'll drive through Playa to get to any of them.

I can't help with your questions regarding places that are open on the holidays. It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned.

Old May 8th, 2003, 04:50 AM

I agree 100% with JeanH. Tulum, Coba, Xel-Ha and Xcaret are much closer to PDC than Cancun, so it doesn't make sense to base yourself over in Cancun if you want to do those day trips.

Uxmal is my favorite Mayan ruin from the ones that I have seen (Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum). It's not really a feasible day-trip from Cancun or PDC, so it does not get the crowds that Tulum and Chichen Itza get. It was really beautiful and peaceful. The structure is more 'purely Mayan' than Chichen, Tulum or Coba, which were influenced/partly constructed by other groups. Therefore, the latticework and carvings are much more elaborate and detailed. Really beautiful and a worthwhile trip from Merida.

Finally, make sure you have transportation pre-arranged and double-check shcedules for holidays. Don't assume that there are buses running on Dec 25, Dec 31, Jan 1 or Jan 6th or that they are running in their regular schedule. Don't assume attractions are open on those days. Double-check before you determine your plan. Contact the tourism bureau for answers.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I would say you are doing far too much in a very short time. You are going to spend ages sitting on buses and are never going to see much of any place as you will rushing around like a headless chicken.

I would throw your plan in the bin and decide what you want to do once in Mexico. Don't rush around and just chill out and go with the flow...
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:27 AM
JMM

Skip Progresso and do Uxmal - it is also my favorite Mayan ruin. Very uncrowded and unique.
Old May 8th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to mention that we are staying so many days in Cancun because our friends offered us their condo there. The days listed above are the only days available to us, so worked around it.

JMM- How can I get to Uxmal from Merida?