Playa Del Carmen on a Budget Honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Honeymoon and Budget don't fit in the same sentence, but its that or nothing. After all the planning I think we'll need to relax. Playa and the Myan Riviera look like a good fit for us. Our vacations normally involve lots of activities and sightseeing, usually Europe on a budget. So beach and sun will be different and relaxing, but we'd still love to see the Myan ruins.

So is it possible to do Playa or another area on a budget and still enjoy beach, food ect. Any suggestions on where to start looking and what an average per night might be. We've never done AI, does is work out cheaper in the end.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh yeah, we will be going in November of next year, I don't know if that is high or low tourist season?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Playa can easily be done on a budget. We stayed in a very nice, small hotel(the Treetops) 1/2 block from the beach for $85 a night. Meals in Playa are slightly less than in the states. The biggest expenses you will run into are the flight, and auto rental with insurance. There are lots of small hotels up and down the coast and many many interesting, inexpensive places to eat. I personally would never do an AI in Playa. I believe November is still part of the rainy season, so prices may be lower then. Look on Tripadvisor for good hotel leads, also check out locogringo.com.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM

Google "hotel vista caribe"
It is the best deal we could find for the money--great location too.

We found the rates to be negotiable by
e-mailing the hotel manager.

Also google Isla Mujeres. Hotels a tad more expensive but food and drink a lot cheaper and a much better beach.

Dan and Ginny

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:59 AM
cdt

Playa is a great choice for the budget-minded. Lots of inexpensive hotels a few blocks from the beach. There are a couple of nice "beach clubs" up around 28th Ave. where you can rent a chair with shade, drinks, etc.

If you're on a tight budget, I would not go AI. We find we can travel cheaper non-inclusive.

November is off-season.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM

Shangri-La Caribe is great, right on a beautiful beach, with a wonderful tropical/mexican/robinson crusoe type ambience. Breakfast and dinner are included. We liked the location and beach better than some of the more expensive resorts in Playa.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:30 AM
cdt

I agree with Eileen - we walked the whole beach in Feb., when we were staying in Akumal, and decided our first choice in PdC would be the Shangri-La. Also worth a look: Playa Maya.

These will cost more, however, than the places a couple of blocks from the water.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 08:48 AM

We've stayed at the Pelicano Inn right on the beach at Calle 8 in Playa and will be back there in late January. We stayed in an ocean view room for just over $100 a night (incl. taxes). They have cheaper and more expensive rooms. We enjoyed breakfast under a palapas out front of the hotel then would walk up the beach (north) past the Shangri-La to snorkel the reef where it comes in close. (Check out the map section at locogringo.com.) And plenty of places to stop for a Margarita on the stroll back, especially the Blue Parrot's swing bar. Avenida 5 is a block off the beach and is quite entertaining, lotsa restaurants, etc. If you're into tequila, there is a shop with little tables out front; you can order a flight of tequilas and compare. The ferry to Cozumel is an easy walk. And the bus station is not far, so you can head inland or down the coast. Tulum is a half day tour, but for Chichen Itza, I'd recommend staying a night or two at the Hacienda Chichen Itza - lovely bungalows near the ruins.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:28 PM

Playa is definitely a good choice! We stayed at Playa Maya this summer and loved it. I would also recommend Hacienda del Caribe and Shangri La-checked them both out. But Shangri La may be too pricey.
There are so many great restaurants in Playa and you can spend as little as you want! My favorite meal was at El Oasis. We had shrimp tacos and guac and it cost $12 for the two of us!
Having said that, we also stayed at the Riu Palace in Playacar. It was also very nice. The reason I'm telling you is because the Riu Palace was very expensive and even though we loved it, we had just as good a time staying at Playa Maya and eating $12 dinners! Have a great honeymoon! Mexico is the most romantic place for it. I had mine there 31 years ago!!
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM
KVR

Also look at Cozumel. We needed an inexpensive honeymoon in July 2000. It was a perfect fit. We have since returned in April 2002 and going back again next month. Staying at the El Cozumeleno. We always go AI and it's a great vaule at least for us since we tend to eat/drink more on vacation. You can take the ferry over to Playa to see the ruins. There are scheduled tours that can take you or you can go on your own.

Have also been to Playa del Carmen and Cancun. Cozumel was the least expensive and we enjoyed it more.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM

I stayed at Aventura Spa Palace, which was absolutely gorgeous. The room rates are up there, but the all-inclusive includes quite a bit. (Palaceresorts.com)

Maybe you can find something in Puerto Aventuras or Akumal - they are smaller towns with rentals.

Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like pictures. I have a huge online album. The Mayan Riviera is a beautiful place and I would go back in an instant!

Marysa
[email protected]
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM

This summer a friend and I needed to find some inexpensive lodging in Playa. (Went to Belize via Cancun and bus to Chetumal!) Found what we needed at www.travelyucatan.com.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM

http://www.villa-amanecer.com/

Villa Amanecer is great, and not that expensive.. around $70 US per night. The beach club is the best!! Also, you can walk to 5th ave. a few blocks South.