Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Help! When to go and Where to stay in Playa Del Carmen

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Jamie

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Playa Del Carmen and can't decide which month to go, either the end of November or January. What is the weather like during these months? We are in our early twenties and would like a romantic, relaxing vacation. Nice beach, good food and entertainment are very important. I have been looking at Riu Palace, Riu Playacar and Iberostar Quetzal Playacar. Which would you choose?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Nancy

Jamie,
The main difference would be in the price. November is still considered low season, while January is high (and so are the prices). The weather is about the same in both months - maybe a little warmer in Nov.
I do not recommend AI's (substandard food). Some of the places you are looking at are pretty remote so would require a rental car. But if you want to have it be out of the way and romantic, you are better off in one of those areas.
I might also recommend Akumal or Tankah. You can get beautuful villas or condos there on deserted beaches, and there are also small hotels as well.
It is wonderful all over the area, so wherever you pick, you'll have a great time!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Monica

I agree with Nancy that November is a good time to go and I also agree on the als. But I would recommend several hotels in Play-one is the El faro and the other is the Hotle Colibri. Beaches are nice and both in a great location-very close to the many restaurants in Playa.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Jason

PDC is great. If you want entertainment, your best bet is to go into town (PDC). The Royal Hideaway is a great, expensive (relative to Mexico standards) resort with little activities, great service and very good food. But for fun, you will need to leave the property and take a $5 five minute ride into town. THere are plenty of cool bars, and a few discos. Hotel Deseo is a neat hotel, bar in town, but you are not right on the beach. RIU Palace is also very nice.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:26 PM
pat

Jamie, the Iberostar Quetzal is a fantastic hotel with delicious food and good measure drinks,wonderfull staff ,plenty to do and a nice beach. Entertainment could be a bit better but the are only amatuers after all and not broadway stars.Its only a short taxi ride from PDC and the ferry and there are some shops just a short walk down the road. Highly recomended.Going there again later this year for the second time.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 06:34 PM
LIZ

Hi Jamie...

The 3 resorts you mentioned are NOT remote but rather about 5 minutes outside of PDC...
And yes, it would be less expensive to go in November..We've been there in November and found the weather to be hot during the day and cooler and less humid in the evenings...

We've been to the Riu Palace and tho' it's not really exciting in the evening you can always go to one of the other Riu's for more entertainment..The Riu Yucatan is right next door and the Riu Tequila is across the street and the Riu Playacar is down the road...

Have a great time wherever you go... LIZ

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Jamie

Thank you all so much for your help! How are the beaches at Riu Playacar and Iberostar Quetzal? Is it crowded and do they have shaded areas?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:37 AM
pat

Jamie, There is plenty of shade at the Quetzal and if all has been taken you can get a parasol at the towel station. Also lots of palapas round the pool area too.The beach is not hugh but it's very pretty and last time we went, there were sand bags halfway down to stop the erosion but I am led to believe there are now wooden steps instead. Lots of showers when you come off the beach to wash the sand away and lots of beach activities if you want to join in.But it's ok if you don't. There is no pressure at all. Nice beach BBQ once a week at lunch time also.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:51 AM
Christie

My Mom and I went down last November for a "Girls' Weekend" and we stayed at the Riu Playacar. The weather was perfect: highs in the low 90s and cool evenings. The food at Riu Playacar was VERY good. Yes, most of the meals were buffets, but they had so many choices that there was something for everyone. We loved the big buffet breakfasts with fresh juices! The beach here was pretty, and there was no shortage of beach chairs. Our only complaint was that if you wanted a drink from the bar, you had to get up and go get it yourself, but that was really minor. Riu Playcar is a smaller resort, but you can visit the Tequila (good disco) and Yucatan for free, so there are other options. Downtown PDC is great for shopping and is just a 5-minute cab ride away.