Playa del Carmen/Cozumel itinerary help/suggestions for August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 1 week trip to Cozumel and Riviera Maya in August (yes, I know it will be hot!) with our 17 year old daughter and 11 year old son. It has been many years since we have been to those areas and we look forward to going back. We aren't looking for huge AI mega resorts but want to stay in nice (3-4 star) hotels. We prefer to stay out of Cancun although our 17 year old would love to go. I've also heard great things about the Ritz Carlton in Cancun so it is tempting. We want to relax but also all the great places the area has to offer, although we don't dive.

We are looking at 4 nights at the Omni Puerto Aventuras and 3 nights at El Presidente Cozumel.

I'm wondering if the Omni is too far south from PDC and maybe we should stay there. Any recommendations??

Would it be better to begin our trip in Cozumel and end in Riviera Maya?

Is this a good number of nights in each place?

Or is this a crazy thing to do and maybe we should go to Isla Mujeres instead of PDC? Or should we skip Cozumel since we don't dive? (we used to love going there, though!) Although from looking at other posts, it looks like there isn't much there. We do love Harbour Island, Bahamas of which there is absolutely nothing to do so this might be an option.

Thanks for any help that can be provided!
Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM

August is hurricane season. Make sure you have trip insurance.

Can't help you with Puerto Aventuras or Cozumel.

But we stayed at the Cancun Ritz Carlton in April and it is a great hotel with a beautiful beach. But, I think your seventeen year old would be bored there. There's a lot to do for kids 12 and under but the hotel did not seem to cater to older teens, at least when we were there.

You're probably better off at an AI where the teens can go off by themselves and eat whenever they're hungry.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:55 AM
KVR

We going to PDC the first week of Sept. We bought trip and hurricane insurance. This will be our 2nd trip to PDC during that time of year.

We've been to Cozumel 3 times. 1 land vacation and 2 cruises and to Cancun once on a land vacation.

Personally, I think your trying to get in too much for just a week. We don't have kids so can't really recommend any specific hotel, but I would concentrate on just one area. The PDC area has more things to see and do that your kids would enjoy like Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Ak Tun Chen, ATV's, horseback riding, snorkeling cenotes, speed boats at Maroma Beach, parasailing, and the Mayan ruins.

However, Cancun has Aqua World for jet skis, speed boats, parasailing, snorkeling, and semi subs. There is also a water park and the Interactive Aquarium. A day trip to Isla Mjueras would be more convenient than a day trip to Cozumel.

I agree with the other poster that your kids would probably more enjoy an AI. They are old enhough to go about on their own on the property and can get sodas and food when they want to. Some AI's have ala cart resturants so you can have dinner as a family and still feel like your in a resturant.

Look at the RIU's in both Cancun and PDC. Be aware of the hotel you pick in the PDC area. Most are very far from the the actual town of PDC. If your wanting to enjoy the town or have good access to the ferry to Cozumel, pick a hotel close otherwise you'll need a car or spend lots on money on cab fare. We made that mistake our first trip. Our hotel was 30 minutes away from PDC. That was $20 + tip each way.

Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM

PDC is probably going to be just right for everyone - AI or not. Your 17 yr old will love the cool Euro vibe of PDC and there's enough fun stuff to do with your 11 yr old - it'll be the best of both worlds.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tess

Our family just got back from staying at an AI near Playa. We have an 18 year old and a 15 year old and they had a blast. AI's are perfect for teens--how many virgin coladas can one person drink? Many, judging from my kids. We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal, just a five minute cab ride from Playa. It was the best of both worlds--the resort had tons of things to do but Playa was close by, as well as the ferry to Cozumel. We'd go back in a minute.

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great input and suggestions - this is very helpful!! Sounds like PDC or Cancun for the week is the way for us to go.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Puerto Aventuras is too far.
Stay away from Cancun. Playa del Carmen is such a great place and so different from Cancun...everyone will love it. It's our favorite place, we just can't stop going back! There is so much to do there. I would also just day trip to Cozumel. The ferry is right in Playa del Carmen so it's so easy to go there for the day.

Playa del Carmen has so many great shops, restaurants, bars, etc. The main street (5th Ave.) is pedestrian only and I've always felt VERY safe. If you don't want AI take a look at the Blue Parrot. Their hotel is amazing.
I would also suggest a day-trip to Tulum. We also LOVED the cave snorkeling at Hidden Worlds (check out their website). The water is so clear it's like flying....amazing experience.