Search

Playa Del Carmen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa Del Carmen

Can someone with knowledge of Playa del Carmen tell me what to expect during a winter visit? Is the Royal Porto Real upscale enough for a couple used to hotels such as the Fairmont and Four Seasons? Is the weather at the time warm enough for the beach and are there lots of restaruatn options outside that hotel nearby? Would you recommend PDC over Cancun for a couple looking for a warm getaway in winter?
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM

There are several small hotels right on the beach in the haert of PLaya Del Carmen. PDC is loaded with all kinds of restaurants. It's also a lively town with lots going on.

Do a text search here for PDC hotels, you'll find some suggestions.

I personally can't help, we last stayed in a condo with our 2 teens, but were minutes away from town, and enjoyed exploring it every evening for a new place to eat and during the days to look around and do a little shopping (be sure to bargain!).
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Here's some suggestions to get you started: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34910507

ALso check tripadvisor.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:58 AM

The weather is warm enough on the beach in Dec but the pools are not heated so will be cooler. Also, last year it was a little cool at night over Thanksgiving but warmer in December. Cancun and PDC have very similiar temps as they are only an hour apart. There are so many restaurant options available it will be hard to choose and the Royal Playa Del Carmen, which used to be the Royal Porto Real, is very close to all of them since it is at the very end of Constituyentes and a block from 5th Ave. The one good thing about PDC is that everything in town is within walking distance. I don't know about your expectations as far as comparing the Four Seasons to the Royal and it would be hard to compare. The Royal is now AI and Adults Only.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the top rated adults only AI resorts in the Riviera Maya is now the Iberostar Paraiso Grand. Definitely at least (if not above) the level of Fairmont, etc. Butler service, gourmet food, etc. They also have a heated indoor/outdoor pool. They are about 15-20 minutes from Playa, but have a free shuttle to Playa throughout the day.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM

I'd definitely recommend PDC! On our last visit, we drove down from Cancun for an afternoon, and the town was bustling. It really is a great town, but Cancun's got the great hotels, IMHO.
I slipped into the restroom at the Royal, and it looked like a nice hotel, but very crowded. The pool was packed. Just for that reason alone, it wouldn't be for me, but people have a great time there.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM

We stayed at the Royal PDC in May. It is not at a level of Ritz or 4 seasons, but it is very nice. The beds are like Westin Hevenly beds...rooms are very nice. Drinks are top shelf if you specify. Breakfast and lunch are great. Dinners are good, but I wouldn't say fantastic. It is a perfect location...so close to 5th ave. We really enjoyed it and will return again. They did do a few cheezy games by the pool, but all in all...it was a great value.