Playa Del Carmen Best Resorts

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa Del Carmen Best Resorts

Hi!! Please help - We are 2 couples traveling to Playa in May and we are looking for a resort. We are leaving the kids with grandma and looking to relax, dive, snorkel, etc. We may stay at the Fairmont - but our travel companions really want to stay in walking distance to the town - I believe its 5th Street/Avenue? Anyway looking at the websites and tripadvisor just really doesn't give us a clear understanding of what these places are like. We want NICE. Nothing cheezy. All inclusive and aduly only doesn't matter - we just really want the nicest.
TIA
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM

The AI's or partial AI's directly in Playa del Carmen (and not Playacar) would be Royal Playa del Carmen, Gran Porto Real, Shangri La Caribe, Las Palmas. The pedestrian street in Playa del Carmen is 5th Avenue. Many AI's are in Playacar which is a 15-20 min walk into Playa del Carmen on nice streets (not the highway) or you can take a taxi. I don't know what you mean by the nicest though. The Royal Playa del Carmen is well thought of though.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:00 PM

If you want, "nicest," as in deluxe, great service, and int'l standards, then look at:

the brand new Mandarin Oriental and the Rosewood Mayakoba (both beautiful), the Maroma (outstanding) and the Fairmont, which is just a step down from these others, though also beautiful. The Fairmont is the largest of the four, the Maroma is the smallest. None are within walking distance of PDC, but these are absolutely the "nicest" in the area. Have fun.

PS
Taxis aren't that expensive, are readily availalbe and you can get into town for dinner easily. As for tours, snorkeling, etc., those too are easy to get to and a rental car is another option. Also, take a half day trip to Tulum. The ruins there are beautifully situated.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the best AI resort right in Playa is the Royal Playa del Carmen . It's a five minute walk from 5th Ave.
Old Apr 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies - i am going to check out these properties and make my decision!
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

we decided to stay at the fairmont - very are all booked to go!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Would love to hear all about it! We are thinking about this resort...